greetings from the Cascade mountains of Washington state

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Its sounds as if you will be taking a big challenge with cougars and bears! In that case, mesh wire is definitely not a wise decision. Hardware cloth is a more substantial form and works wonerfully. Electrical fence is another option if you don't want to keep the area/run enclosed. Bears are really powerful creatures, so just try to do the best!;) Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hi all, in 2015 I sold my house and car in Philadelphia, bought a truck and travel trailer and traveled West until I finally bought a house in Leavenworth, WA, in the Cascade mountains in 2016. The first thing I did was get a flock of chickens, but haven't gotten around to building a run for them yet, so the flock in all it's various members have been free-ranging now for 2 years (half of them are 2, half of them are 8 month old)

Flock is a mix of silver-laced and gold-laced wyandottes, americaunas, an australorp, 2 polish, and 1 I have not identified yet. I should post a pic of her and let you all tell me what she is!

Other hobbies include mountain biking, road cycling, weightlifting, xc skiing, and I am currently the Founder of a biotech company which I am trying to get off the ground, which means at some point in the near future I will be splitting my time between rural Plain and the Puget Sound area. I will need a chicken run then, as all of my neighbors have lost chickens due to coyote, cougars, raccoons, birds of prey, bears, etc, but mine have been pretty safe due to my dog and the fact that I am around all the time. When that changes I am going to have to lock them up a bit more.

Looking forward to learning from your wisdom. Thanks, andrea
awesopme.jpg

You will likely want an auto door closing system on the coop door too. Runs are usually very good for daytime predators but raccoons and some weasels can get into runs too easily

Thank you all, and bonjour! Not sure the path I chose was "carefree," but it has been quite a change and challenge! :) Thanks for the advice and warm welcome. And, the reason I have not built the run yet: our snow load here is 130psi which is crazy, so the run has to have a real roof and be an actual structure with posts sunk in concrete or else it won't last our winters. A bit more of a project.

Back
Top Bottom