Greetings from the Heart of Dixie.

uriahblues

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Hi All,

Big Steve from Bama here. I hope that this finds you all doing well and having had a blessed day. I don't have chickens yet, but am doing my homework before I build a coop and run. As I am new to this I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask a question, but I am going to ask anyway in case some of you may be able to give me some help.

My friend Derrick purchased three hens and a rooster recently, and I just fell in love with them. I have been feeding them when I go over to visit. Grapes, bananas, apples, all with no problem. Yesterday I took some cracked corn that I got from the local feed store. Today he called and said that two of his hens were dead. Did my corn kill them? I would appreciate any ideas opinions that you may have. My only thought is that he has a small run (maybe eight by ten ft) and he has not put any grit out for them. Could the corn with insufficient grit have killed them? Please tell me I am not a murderer.

Steve

welcome-byc.gif

You are not a murderer. Chickens will eat dirt if they need the grit.

ETA: MOLDY corn will kill them...but it smells so bad you probably wouldnt have fed it to them if it had been moldy.

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. I really don't think it had anything to do with you except bad timing.
hugs.gif
There are many factors that we don't know. You say he got them recently but how old are they, what has he been feeding, what bedding, is there fresh water all the time, what's the coop like, are they free ranging, could they have gotten into posion or something? They could have had a disease when he got them. Like I said, I don't believe it was your fault.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom