Greetings from the other side of the Atlantic

Hello everyone,

I can't really say I am new here but I have been away for (a shocking!) three years. I joined back in 2019 because I needed help, received amazing advice and feedback and then got swept away by my hectic life.

Anyway, I am motivated and happy to be officially starting a journey in this fantastic community!

So:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Kind of new. I had some experience with 2 batches in 2019. I decided to relocate to a farm because of COVID (I still 1/3 of my time there, the rest in the city where I work, which is not too far so rather convenient). These past 2 years, I've mostly had to deal with chicks that were abandonned by their mothers, injured ones, etc. But I want to adopt/raise a variety of species and provide a nice home for as many animals as I can, so I'm happy to be learning from people on BYC!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

There's about 80 chickens in the farm (I'm not the one taking care of them, so they're fine and safe lol). We also have about 70-80 ducks, some turkeys, some guineafowls as well as some quails.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I'm not sure about the breeds. I'll update this post as soon as I know. But they're mostly common breeds here in Morocco. They also have weird names for the breeds here so I'll need to make some research ^^

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I absolutely love all animals and chickens are no exception. We raise them as pets (and only consume eggs, not the meat) so I also enjoy the quirky relationship I have with them. I've also had the chance to care for some sick/injured chicken, one that was beakless and it grew to the age of 2 and 1/2 (before it died - no idea why). The poor thing was bitten by a turkey when it was 4 days old and it lost its beak the same day. My entire family fell in love with him and we all took turn preparing its food (mostly boiled, pureed veggies+fruits and grains) and it survived for years! It's just an example of the amazing things I've experienced with our chickens. I've always loved all animals and always thought chickens were cute and funny, but I never thought I could experience such an array of emotions thanks to those balls of fluff, so I'm very happy COVID allowed me to learn all of this (at least some positive from that awful pandemic)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love reading, travelling and cooking.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have 9 cats (had 26 at one point but managed to find amazing homes and families for 17 of them). I also have dogs (German shepherds, Belgian sherperds), I'll have a lovely golden retriever joining the family soon. I work as a Risk Manager in one of the biggest mining companies in the world, which is galaxies away from the calm, soothing life I have at my parents' farm :D
I'm not a native English speaker (I've always loved the language though, ever since I started studying in school). I enjoy learning about other culture, countries and making new friends in general, be it in real life of through my computer's screen. I don't know what else to say, just ask me questions if you want to know more :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
My dad bought a hatching machine in 2019 and had a batch where some chicks had serious issues (one even ended up dying). It was overwhelming and we didn't know what to do, so a google serach led me to this fantastic forum, where a lot of people helped me + tons of posts were available for me to gather info from. I've joined back then but never managed to really sit and interact properly with the community. It's always been in the back of my head, especially since I spend more time at the farm now. So, while I was watching a silly video on YT tonight, I decided to be serious and start interacting and posting (again!)
Very happy to be back and looking forward to learning more about chickens and the lovely people of BYC
Welcome to BYC!!!

Back
Top Bottom