Greetings from the TN River Valley

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

So sorry for your loss, how awful. :hugs Unfortunately any dog pet or not is not a good combination with poultry. Best of luck. :)

Thank you to all ... since the original post, Maddie has a new playmate ... "Mikey"
20210813_195646.jpg
20210808_202331.jpg

And all of the chicks are doing well. Have 2 that should start laying any day and 5 chicks that are feathered out now and about ready to introduce to the flock. In a few more weeks, I'll have 9 laying hens and increase my weekly income by about $6.00 ... woo hoo!!!! :D

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. Most natural remedies as well as poultry approved insecticides will not kill the mites eggs. If you are still finding them try Permethrin which can be purchased at most farm and feed stores. I had a severe infestation and was concerned that I may loose some birds. I first used DE and the birds didn't improve. They were actually looking worse. I did some research and found permethrin. I thoroughly treated the birds and coops for about a month with weekly treatments thoroughly spraying everywhere, every crack and crevices in the coops. The birds did improve. I think if I hadn't started treatments when I did I may have lost some birds. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. The bonus is that there is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Good luck with your flock and have fun...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. Most natural remedies as well as poultry approved insecticides will not kill the mites eggs. If you are still finding them try Permethrin which can be purchased at most farm and feed stores. I had a severe infestation and was concerned that I may loose some birds. I first used DE and the birds didn't improve. They were actually looking worse. I did some research and found permethrin. I thoroughly treated the birds and coops for about a month with weekly treatments thoroughly spraying everywhere, every crack and crevices in the coops. The birds did improve. I think if I hadn't started treatments when I did I may have lost some birds. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. The bonus is that there is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Good luck with your flock and have fun...
View attachment 2806754View attachment 2806756
Thank you and yes we did that ... two weeks in a row ... no more mites ... still cleaning out the bedding each week for a few more and checking. The soap, oil and water treatment did great as well.

Back
Top Bottom