Greetings from VA

babrenner07

Hatching
Apr 27, 2016
Hello,

I'm new to BYC and to raising chickens! We just got 6, 8-week old RIRs last weekend. So far (i.e. 4 days), so good. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the weeks/months/years to come, so I'm thankful for a support network like BYC. Without further ado, my first question:

I plan on keeping the chickens in the coop until the weekend (this will be about 1 week in the coop, just to get them acclimated). I then plan to let them "free range" (in a sizeable enclosed area that will gradually expand as they grow and as I have time). I suppose I'm wondering if I need to move their food and water into the yard/run while they are out there, during the day, or if I can just keep the food and water in the coop. Will they return to the coop even throughout the day to get food and water?

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC!
As your birds will be "homed" to the coop as the location of feed and water and even if they weren't going to be in an enclosed area in the vicinity of the coop there is no reason to move feed and water back and forth, they will return to the coop as needed.

Glad you joined the BYC flock
yesss.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - great advice already so i will just say hello
frow.gif

CT

Back
Top Bottom