Greetings

Rebecca Nina

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2017
I am a novice chicken owner and currently have 5 Silkie Chickens that are 5 months old. They are purely pets, and are now a part of the family, I raised them from chicks. There 3 roosters and 2 hens, which is not ideal, but we knew that when we got the chicks that you can't sex them until 4 months.

Nice to meet you Rebecca. A rooster can handle 10 hens, any less and the girls tend to get over bred and balding( from the constant harassment and feathers torn out or worn off.) For 3 roosters, to keep them occupied, you would need to have 28 more hens. OR less or no roosters.

Hens will lay eggs without a rooster but they will be infertile. Some silkies cannot be sexed till they crow or lay eggs.

Nice to meet you Rebecca. A rooster can handle 10 hens, any less and the girls tend to get over bred and balding( from the constant harassment and feathers torn out or worn off.) For 3 roosters, to keep them occupied, you would need to have 28 more hens. OR less or no roosters.

Hens will lay eggs without a rooster but they will be infertile. Some silkies cannot be sexed till they crow or lay eggs.
Thanks so much, I never realized that, and I am a Novice and feel like I have gotten over my head. My husband built a beautiful coop and very secure, and now the hens are in my screen porch and the boys we left in the coop. I am going to try so hard to find homes for these roosters, then I would like to get a couple more hens aged 5 months and up but people say that is hard to find. I am so depressed all I wanted were some Silikie Chickens and I took sure good care of them when they were chicks now I have failed them and do not know where to start besides trying to rehome these roosters.

Back
Top Bottom