Greetings!

scootermagoo

Chirping
Jan 13, 2019
Illinois
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Hey ya'll!
I've been a lurker on here for a couple of years, starting around 2015 when we got our first small flock of backyard chickens. We never had more than 4 hens (always Buff/Light Brahmas) at a time, no roos. They lived in a converted baby crib my crafty husband put together in our very small backyard, and they helped keep away my "I NEED TO LIVE ON A FARM!" blues while we lived there.

We were immensely blessed this past September, and moved into our dream home with some land to spare...so...time to fill it with happy little peckerheads!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

As of this moment-none. We will have 30 chicks coming in this week.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have had Brahmas in the past, but with this batch of 30, I ordered 8 Easter Eggers and 2 Buff Orpington girls to keep as layers, 16 "fryer special" roos (not broilers-just extra males either dual-purpose or heavier meat birds), and 4 mystery chicks. We will see which of the roos we like the best, keep one or two and put the rest in the freezer.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I truly enjoy their personalities, and being able to work with nature to create healthy sustainable food for my family.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Cooking, crochet/knitting, dog and horse training...essentially any and all things DIY

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Small family...it's just my husband, 7 year old son and myself. We have a Doberman and 2 quasi-indoor kittens, and one feral cat that came with the house...aptly named Spitter.
Within the next year or two we hope to add some milking goats and a couple pigs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I'm sure I found BYC from some google search or another-lurking for several years. Decided to finally join because I have never had a flock with roos, have never slaughtered, and have the room to free range now so I'm sure we will run into a few problems here and there-it will be nice to have a community to turn to that has the knowledge to help out along the way.

Congrats on your new home and welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
7F80EEDC-0D37-4B45-9FA0-DCD741FDC19B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom