Greetings!

Ag2k76

Hatching
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Hello everyone!
frow.gif
I am so happy to have found a place where everyone loves their chickens like my family does. I have learned so much by reading all the articles, and I even got the ideas on building our coop from all the fantastic artists/architect/carpenter/chicken people who shared their experiences.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My family and I are very new to chickens. My son is involved in 4H, so I got to choose between a goat or chickens. SOOOO glad we choose chickens. We purchased them the day they arrived at the local feed store in February of this year. From that moment I seen them, I have been in love!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 5 chickens: Noodle, Peaches, Snowball, Lucky, Honkie (my son picked this name because it started making honk-like noises). They are about 3 months old.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Super cute Silkies

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I was researching all about chickens on the web, so I could make sure we were prepared for our new family members. That is when I stumbled upon this wonderful site.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to garden with my husband, and my kids love swimming, art, and of course video games and computers. We are also very involved with our Church and community.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My children, 11 and 13, attend an outdoor agricultural charter school, here in central California. They like to call it "the farm". They spend the mornings learning the usual core subjects, then in the afternoon they get to go outside and learn. They have a fully functional farm with goats, cows, chickens, horses and much more. They learn how to care for the animals, the environment, and the community as a whole. This school is what led us to consider raising chickens. Mind you, I have only had dogs as a pet, and well, chicken was for dinner
duc.gif
.We don't live on a farm, but in a developed area in town. I am a stay at home mom, which is the best job in the world! We all love our chickens, as they have become a great addition to our family. My kids love to come up with random sayings about our chickens, one of my favorites is "hanging with my peeps".

We look forward to learning and sharing in this community!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Your kid's school sounds amazing!

Back
Top Bottom