Grey ball on comb

aohare

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2016
Spring Hill
Any idea what this might be? I'm at a loss and they're on two of my birds, this one is just a single large ball, the other is like a cluster of 6 or 7 on the comb...

AJ

They look like ticks to me too. I've had to pull lots of those off of my dog, regardless of his flea/tick meds. If you wiggle them around sometimes you see the black spot of the body and the legs gently waving hello on the base of the protrusion. I take them off by tying thread around the base and pulling gently. Usually they come off in one piece and still alive that way. Then I nuke the little !@#$%^s in the microwave to make sure they're dead.

What type of climate are you in right now? Is it warm and are mosquitoes out there? I can't tell that much from the one picture, but fowl pox could be a possibility. Could you post another pic or two?

What type of climate are you in right now? Is it warm and are mosquitoes out there? I can't tell that much from the one picture, but fowl pox could be a possibility. Could you post another pic or two?

Sorry she wasnt cooperating with a photo :)

How about these:

Ticks can cause a variety of illnesses in chickens including spirochetosis, a paralyzing disease, anemia, and weakness. Treatment recommended by the Merck Veterinary Manual includes pressure washing the coop and treating it with permethrin spray, or other insecticides, and I would dust or spray the chickens as well.

Those look like ticks to me. Can you try to pull one off with tweezers? Then clean the skin with iodine, alcohol, or Vetericyn.

Sure
Ticks can cause a variety of illnesses in chickens including spirochetosis, a paralyzing disease, anemia, and weakness. Treatment recommended by the Merck Veterinary Manual includes pressure washing the coop and treating it with permethrin spray, or other insecticides, and I would dust or spray the chickens as well.

Okay so I got two off, they are definitely ticks, I checked them over pretty well and they only seem to be on the comb. These chickens don't sleep in a coup, about 6 months ago they started sleeping in a tree about 30 feet off the ground. if I get to them soon enough I put them in the coop, I tried keeping them in there for a week as some said it would re-train them...they went right back to the tree...

How risky is Sevin if they ingest any after being dusted?

AJ

I have used Sevin on my birds without a problem for years, but it can cause cancer. Permethrin is less toxic. Most TSC's and garden stores carry Permectrin II, Garden and Poultry Dust, and permethrin concentrate for spraying.

Back
Top Bottom