Grieving

woodlandd

Chirping
Sep 26, 2021
BC, Canada
I bought my buff orpington chicks when they were five days old. We were only going to get two but ended up impulsively getting a third one. Holly was the bossy one. She decided she was my top hen and would cuddle with me in my lap every time I sat down. She would chase all the other wild birds out of my yard. She laid the biggest, speckled, almost pink eggs. She was like my tiny flock's rooster. I loved her so much. We went out for dinner a few hours ago and they were all fine. They were huddled up on their perch outside which they'd been doing for the past few months with no issue. I'd never seen a single predator in my area. When I came back the run was completely covered in her feathers and she was gone. I was supposed to bury them together when the time came, but how can I bury her without a body? I don't understand how it happened. She wasn't even a year old. She was supposed to live a long and full life and die of old age. She was my baby and now she's just gone. Her last moments were terror and agony and confusion. I'm never going to be able to hold her again. I can't even lay her to rest. I didn't get to say goodbye. I wasn't ready for her to be taken. I don't know what I'm going to do without her.

Attachments

• image_2022-07-24_020526403.png
    image_2022-07-24_020526403.png
    891.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 10.33.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 10.33.08 AM.png
    761.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo on 2021-10-19 at 8.12 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2021-10-19 at 8.12 PM.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8
I am so sorry about Holly. I doubt anything will make you feel better right now; I always blame myself, whether it's predation, illness or injury that steals my babies.

When I have not been able to bury my chickens, I keep some of their feathers in a jar on my dresser to remind me of them every day. I like @Sussex19's suggestion of planting a tree or shrub -- something that will live and honor your sweet baby.

Holly sounds like an extraordinary girl.

Many lives end too soon, both human and animal. All we can do is love them the best we can for as long as we can, and keep memories of them in our heads and hearts. It sounds like Holly has left you with a LOT of good memories you can cherish.

Take care of yourself and her sisters.

I am so sorry about Holly. I doubt anything will make you feel better right now; I always blame myself, whether it's predation, illness or injury that steals my babies.

When I have not been able to bury my chickens, I keep some of their feathers in a jar on my dresser to remind me of them every day. I like @Sussex19's suggestion of planting a tree or shrub -- something that will live and honor your sweet baby.

Holly sounds like an extraordinary girl.

Many lives end too soon, both human and animal. All we can do is love them the best we can for as long as we can, and keep memories of them in our heads and hearts. It sounds like Holly has left you with a LOT of good memories you can cherish.

Take care of yourself and her sisters.
Beautifully said!

I bought my buff orpington chicks when they were five days old. We were only going to get two but ended up impulsively getting a third one. Holly was the bossy one. She decided she was my top hen and would cuddle with me in my lap every time I sat down. She would chase all the other wild birds out of my yard. She laid the biggest, speckled, almost pink eggs. She was like my tiny flock's rooster. I loved her so much. We went out for dinner a few hours ago and they were all fine. They were huddled up on their perch outside which they'd been doing for the past few months with no issue. I'd never seen a single predator in my area. When I came back the run was completely covered in her feathers and she was gone. I was supposed to bury them together when the time came, but how can I bury her without a body? I don't understand how it happened. She wasn't even a year old. She was supposed to live a long and full life and die of old age. She was my baby and now she's just gone. Her last moments were terror and agony and confusion. I'm never going to be able to hold her again. I can't even lay her to rest. I didn't get to say goodbye. I wasn't ready for her to be taken. I don't know what I'm going to do without her.
What a beautiful girl, like a ray of sunshine 🌞

The first image of her is a magnificent photo. When a much loved creature like Holly passes, it is painful. My heart goes out to you. I definitely like the idea of planting the shrub or small tree. I planted an apple tree where I planned to bury my Goldilocks. She was buried there but later dig up by a scavenging animal, so we put a tree where the grave was.
The other pets (a few button quail and a very, very old cat) rest there too, but Goldie was the first we had to say goodbye to, so the tree is hers.

I'm sad for you & I understand. I lost 12 chickens , but none were a sweet pet like yours. May time heal your heart.

Back
Top Bottom