grinding Mazuri Waterfowl Starter?

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
Anyone ever put some Waterfowl Starter in a food processor to feed tiny ducklings until they are big enough to eat the mini-pellets???
Just looking at all options.

My ducklings didn't have a problem eating regular starter right away. Are yours? Do you have call ducklings?

I did at one point grind up mazuri pellets into powder and mix it with water so my sick duck could eat it like soup.

Anyone ever put some Waterfowl Starter in a food processor to feed tiny ducklings until they are big enough to eat the mini-pellets???
Just looking at all options.
For bantam chicks I have done this.

I prefer to use a heavy glass (mug or wine bottle, etc) on the counter and just roll it in batches.

Cool that they have the size listed..

Product Form: Extruded particle: 3/32" diameter x 3/32" length

I'd probably just moisten it which also makes it fall apart instead of wasting my blender blade or electricity.

When I did raise ducklings.. the Purina Flock Raiser crumbles worked well in it's original form.. just for informational purposes.

MUST see babies! ;) :pop

My ducklings didn't have a problem eating regular starter right away. Are yours? Do you have call ducklings?

I did at one point grind up mazuri pellets into powder and mix it with water so my sick duck could eat it like soup.
I have 3 runner ducks (Wanda, Wally, and Wolfgang Duck). Little Wanda is 3 1/2 pounds and has laid an egg everyday for past 19 days! About 11 days ago I placed 7 of her eggs that I had been saving in the basement and put them in the incubator with 4 goose eggs. ALL of Wanda's eggs are fertile!!! Plus 2 of the goose eggs!

I kept going round and round and round on the starter feed merry-go-round and finally settled again on Mazuri. I'll probably soak or crush a small amount and see how it goes. I'd rather have to crush a bit of mini-pellets than guess on how much yeast or niacin to add.

I like the idea of the pellets floating and hoping there is less waste. Last year I had a royal mess with soggy food.

For bantam chicks I have done this.

I prefer to use a heavy glass (mug or wine bottle, etc) on the counter and just roll it in batches.

Cool that they have the size listed..

Product Form: Extruded particle: 3/32" diameter x 3/32" length

I'd probably just moisten it which also makes it fall apart instead of wasting my blender blade or electricity.

When I did raise ducklings.. the Purina Flock Raiser crumbles worked well in it's original form.. just for informational purposes.

MUST see babies! ;) :pop
Here's one of the babies right now!!!

Attachments

• 3003E120-1B00-4C41-87C3-21A7413A74B5.jpeg
    3003E120-1B00-4C41-87C3-21A7413A74B5.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1
  • A245FD72-BECB-49FF-9C49-D2E70F89CBF4.jpeg
    A245FD72-BECB-49FF-9C49-D2E70F89CBF4.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 1
My duckling hatchlings are eating Purina duck pellets without problem. They hatched Sunday. I did put a few pellets in water initially and I had considered crushing it but they don’t seem to be having issues.

I'd rather have to crush a bit of mini-pellets than guess on how much yeast or niacin to add.
Despite not being listed on or required to be listed by law on the tag.. I contacted Purina myself and the niacin IS at proper levels for ducklings in their flock raiser feed... for MOST ducklings. The super fast growing pekin and jumbo pekin might still need higher levels. I can't remember off the top of my head the parts per million, but it was dead on the stated requirement (55mg/kg). I did raise a tribe that thrived without supplementation.

Mazuri is the brand of guinea pig feed I use (best ingredient compared to anything else available). They do make some good products ( often at a premium price) and even service zoos far and wide. I did not like their mini pig feed, for MY pasture and grazing conditions. But that's not against them. Definitely use which feed you are comfortable with and is readily available at a price you can accept. Also please feel free to contact any of the companies and they will provide a full feed analysis upon request!

Love the hatching enthusiasm! :pop

Normally I would just use the best value feed. My adult flock eat Purina or Dumor Flock Raiser and/or layer pellets.

But, when I see the day 11 babies in their shells cooking in the Nuture Right incubator in my kitchen, it just feels different. It is like, they are doing their part growing and will fight like crazy to peck themselves out of their perfect little shells and into our chaotic, crazy world; the least I can do is provide them with the supposed "gold standard" of feed until they start thriving and perhaps longer.

Plus, 2 female runner ducks and 3 extremely expensive Sebastopol goslings will be shipped from Metzers in a few weeks and I want to feed them the "best" for the same reasons.

I know I can't get everything perfect but, I will try to do my best. Hopefully, this will be the last time that I purchase waterfowl. Should be able to facilitate lots of pretties next year!!!

Back
Top Bottom