Sponsored Post Grit and Oyster Shell: When in Doubt, Put it Out

I agree...great info. Thanks, especially, for the tip on the solubility of oyster shell. I'll not put it in the run anymore, just in the cup on the side. Great thoughts on the grit, too. There's a few places near us that might have more in bulk.
Most of the time chickens don't really need the extra calcium that oyster shell grit provides, so if you'd prefer you can just toss a handful on top of there regular feed.

I usually look for thin shells before I do. Which really isn't the best idea. Since I repackage my feed I might toss a little in each jug of feed. Chickens tend to waste a lot of grit, spilling it on the ground. They do the same with feed which is why when advised that pellets resulted in less waste I decided to switch from crumbles. The picture shows grower but I also do the same with layer pellets. It makes it easier for me to transport feed, since I have a bad back.
wink.png

Just an aside on feeding back the egg shells- does anyone find this encourage egg eating?
Do you roughly crush (like bang with a spoon/ meat tenderiser or is it a Zip in the food processor?)

Just an aside on feeding back the egg shells- does anyone find this encourage egg eating?
Do you roughly crush (like bang with a spoon/ meat tenderiser or is it a Zip in the food processor?)

I use an old budgie feeder dispenser for both each and I use a rabbit water spill to put water in it they will drink the dripps when they tap the nipple

Is there any concern with offering free-choice OS when roo's are in the coop too? I've read that excess calcium is not good for roo's. Can they distinguish between the OS and grit? Can the bowls be next to one another?

I wasn't really sure. I feed back crushed up shells and offer free-choice grit. I've seen the hens go crazy over the shells, but I haven't seen my roo's bother with them.

Just curious if I should be on the watch if I give OS.

Thanks.
Dawn

I will be buying both the grit and OS this weekend. I have never had a broken egg in the lay box b4 today... just as we are talking about weak shells. It may have been sat on the wrong way aand wasnt fully busted, but obviously weak enough to have a dent break? So theyre getting a treat soon! thanks ALL for youe input.

Is there any concern with offering free-choice OS when roo's are in the coop too? I've read that excess calcium is not good for roo's. Can they distinguish between the OS and grit? Can the bowls be next to one another?

I wasn't really sure. I feed back crushed up shells and offer free-choice grit. I've seen the hens go crazy over the shells, but I haven't seen my roo's bother with them.

Just curious if I should be on the watch if I give OS.

Thanks.
Dawn
I wouldn't think so. After all, one of the major ways OS is used is as a supplement for a mixed flock. You use an all-flock feed that doesn't have the excess calcium and leave the OS out for the layers to get the calcium they need. If you have a roo in the coop (or meat birds or hens that are too young or too old), then you should not be using layer feed.

What's the go with oyster and Shell grit. My hens free range but i got some shell grit anyway form my feed store and i asked for shell grit and oyster grit and they have me a bag of what i think is shell grit (really small shells and crushed up shells) but no oyster grit, are they one in the same? or what?

Can one make their own grit and crushed calcium supplement? Our farm is situated on the banks of the Restigouche River where there is an abundance of appropriately sized grit as well as mussel and clam shells that could be pulverized/broken down into a powder to be added to their feed. As someone new to poultry I'm always looking for feedback on my ideas. Thanks!

I put on some goggles and get the BFH (sledge hammer), grab a handful of stones from the driveway and get crackin! Any oysters we eat, same deal. Take the extra five minutes to dry and sterilize any egg shell you are giving the ladies. Put them on a cookie sheet in a 350° oven for a few min let them cool and they crush alot easier too

Back
Top Bottom