Grit and oyster shells

My girls are around 16 weeks and free range most of the day, everyday. Are oyster shells and grit still necessary?

thanks!!
I keep Granite Grit and Oyster Shells available year round.
20210201_142544_resized_kindlephoto-5116491.jpg

I don't feed a Layers feed so Oyster Shells are necessary. GC

Grit is technically not needed if they can free range and find rocks on their own. However, as noted above, it is cheap insurance that they have what they need for proper digestion.

OS is needed whenever you have actively laying hens. I've found that they eat it even with layer feed.

Just make sure both are offered separately from their actual feed. Your chickens will only consume them if they feel the need.

When I free range I don't worry too much about grit because there is lots of little rocks around my yard. I usually make grit available a lot less when free ranging, however if they are penned up I supply grit. Oyster shell I put out or add to feed as needed. I have in the past mixed OS in the feed, some people don't like that and prefer it be offered separately. I am thinking about offering it separately in a way I can monitor the amount they consume. I have seen a couple ideas I plan try out for the OS and grit to see which I like better. One is using a hanging feeder container for grit and OS, the other is a clear container with a hole cut in so you can monitor the amount of OS eaten. In the past I just put grit in old pie plates with holes punched in the bottom. Depending on the age of birds I use different sized grit. I am also going to experiment with feeders and watering systems this year too...

Back
Top Bottom