grit for 9 day old chicks. What kind of sand? I keep reading differing

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
information. On one thread someone said DO NOT use playground sand, but use construction sand and on another someone said the exact opposite-NO construction sand, only playground sand. Then someone else mentioned another kind of sand. Can I just put dirt from my yard in there?? The feed store here only sells oyster shell so I'm going to have to go with sand/dirt.

I can't buy oyster shell OR grit locally, have to drive 25 miles to a TSC, but it takes my 20 chickens some months to go through a $7 or $8 bag of grit. I just make sure some of the fine stuff at the bottom is in the bowl each time I refil, and the little ones pick out the size of pieces they want. We have pretty sandy soil but I notice they get into the grit now and then anyway, even 1 or 2 week olds.

My local probably isn't the same as yours. We have to drive 25 miles just to get to a store. Any store. And to go to TSC I have to drive an hour. But none of the stores 25 miles away have anything for chicks, only the kinds with too much calcium. So I'm pretty much resigned to get sand but I can't figure out which kind because there is so much different advice.

I have 9 week old chicks that I have raised since day 2. LOL So I am a newbie. We have been giving construction grade sand the entire time and they r fine! We r actually getting them a kiddie pool tonight and putting sand in it for them to dust bathe in. I think dirt is ok if it has small harder particles that will help "grind" the food. The issue with the construction sand is if it has a bunch of silica in it. I think! LOL Hope that helps some! U will have to post some pics of ur babies!
fl.gif

I use Purina Chick Grit, the only ingredient it has is ground granite grit. I paid $4 for a 5lb bag of it at my local feed store. I also mix this in with my adult chicken feed, but all my chickens and chicks free range, so the only time they really eat any of the grit is if they're feeling lazy.
wink.png

Thanks. That's the problem here. None of the stores sell chick grit, only ground oyster shell. I am beginning to consider just putting some dirt from our garden in a pan and putting it in there. DH just ran the tiller in it so it's all fluffed up. We never use chemicals in our garden-it's been at least 15 yrs since we've used anything like that. Just Bt for tomato worms (which isn't a chemical).

The difference between play sand and construction sand is how they are graded. Play sand is highly graded and is the softest sand available. Construction sand is less graded and the grains are sharper.

Back
Top Bottom