Grit for chicks

Chickadee13542

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
hi I have 1 week old chicks and I would love to give them some treats every couple days or so but I know they need grit for most treats. How should I give my chicks grit? I have read about it a lot but am still confused on how I get it and how I can give it to them? Any advice would be really good thanks!

Just a small dish of chick grit kept where they are being brooded, they are curious and will find it naturally. If you are worried they aren’t getting any before treats then sprinkle some like you would a seasoning of salt on their starter crumbles or on a plate of mash so they can pick up a piece or two.

Hi
you can get it at Tractor Supply or Agway or any feed store. just tell them the age of your chicks and they should know the right size to get you .there are three different sizes .
Best ,
Karen

hi I have 1 week old chicks and I would love to give them some treats every couple days or so but I know they need grit for most treats. How should I give my chicks grit? I have read about it a lot but am still confused on how I get it and how I can give it to them? Any advice would be really good thanks!
Buy chick grit from your local Tractor Supply or feed store. Grit is insoluble unlike eggshells and it remains in the birds gizzard, its' not easily flushed out of the birds' digestive system. You can usually buy a 50lb sack for little more than a 5lb sack costs. 50lds will likely last most of us a lifetime. Crushed granite not sand is best because of all the sharp angles that it has.

Baby chicks have a pecking response which means that they peck at everything in their environment in an effort to identify it. Chick grit is the very first thing that I feed all of my chicks. I give (about 20 of them) 1 teaspoonful on a piece of clean cardboard or newspaper and they are soon standing right in the middle of this small pile of grit picking it up like gangbusters and scratching their little hearts out.

Back
Top Bottom