Grit for Coturnix Quail Chicks?

Jellybean June

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
Virginia, USA
Can anyone recommend a good grit for coturnix quail chicks? I want to start giving them treats (hard boiled eggs or fruits and veggies) but I need to buy some grit first I think. I saw probiotic chick grit for sale, but I think it’s for chickens. Would it work for quail chicks too? They are a day shy of three weeks old.

I honestly don't know what probiotic grit would even be - grit is just rocks. I would probably go with just standard chick grit for them, the finer the better, mix this in with their food at like a 1/200 ratio or something very very light (read this as around 1tsp grit to whatever the full fill of the feeder is).

As for if they need it, really only depends on if the treats need to be "chewed." Hard boiled eggs and most soft fruits probably won't need it, veggies tend to be a bit tougher and could benefit from having grit.

I honestly don't know what probiotic grit would even be - grit is just rocks. I would probably go with just standard chick grit for them, the finer the better, mix this in with their food at like a 1/200 ratio or something very very light (read this as around 1tsp grit to whatever the full fill of the feeder is).

As for if they need it, really only depends on if the treats need to be "chewed." Hard boiled eggs and most soft fruits probably won't need it, veggies tend to be a bit tougher and could benefit from having grit.
Thank you, I will try to find a fine one! This is what I was looking at that says it was made with probiotics:

Attachments

• FEBA1C9C-0517-4C80-B1FF-74B2ECD09B51.jpeg
    FEBA1C9C-0517-4C80-B1FF-74B2ECD09B51.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom