Grit in wood chips?

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
I have shavings in my little "playpen" brooder, but would like to start giving the littles some treats. I've sprinkled grit in their feed, but how else can I make sure they get enough into their little gizzards? If I sprinkle it it in the brooder it will just get lost in the shavings.
If I put a small bowl of chick grit out will they help themselves?

Bonus question: What are your favorite chick treats (about 3 weeks old)? Planning on boiled eggs and spaghetti, but open to suggestions. :):celebrate

Last edited:
Firstly, I hope you’re not feeding chicks layer, it’s harmful. They don’t use all of the calcium consumed since they’re not laying eggs and it can damage their kidneys. Secondly, chicks do not need grit if all they’re consuming is chick starter. It’s ground up fine enough so that they don’t need any grit to actually break it down further.

Hope this helps.

Firstly, I hope you’re not feeding chicks layer, it’s harmful. They don’t use all of the calcium consumed since they’re not laying eggs and it can damage their kidneys. Secondly, chicks do not need grit if all they’re consuming is chick starter. It’s ground up fine enough so that they don’t need any grit to actually break it down further.

Hope this helps.
Sorry- I meant starter grower food.

Hope this helps.
I just really want to spoil them with some treats if its not bad for them. :)

I got some dirt out of the gravel driveway and put it in the corner of the dog crate tray.
raisins are my go to treat. I roll it between my fingers and open the raisin up so they can peck at the flesh. My new girls will be two weeks old tomorrow and get their first raisin .

Attachments

• IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    669.7 KB · Views: 15
I have shavings in my little "playpen" brooder, but would like to start giving the littles some treats. I've sprinkled grit in their feed, but how else can I make sure they get enough into their little gizzards? If I sprinkle it it in the brooder it will just get lost in the shavings.
If I put a small bowl of chick grit out will they help themselves?

Bonus question: What are your favorite chick treats (about 3 weeks old)? Planning on boiled eggs and spaghetti, but open to suggestions. :):celebrate
I brought my 5~ week old chicks outside for the first time this week, and they went CRAZY for the sandy soil. I've seen plenty of accounts of people saying that starter feed is just fine for digestion, and that some even has grit in it. But my chickies went ballistic over sand. They also love scrambled egg every couple of days. Just an anecdote 😏

Back
Top Bottom