Grit, Oyster Shells, Chickens, Oh my!

RBiddulph

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Douglasville, GA
I've got 3 hens & 1 rooster. They're about 4 months old now. They love their little coop that's about 10x10 with a dirt & wheat straw bottom. I feed them regular chicken feed with a high protein content and also give them veggies and fruits on a daily basis (zucchini, tomatoes, oranges, bananas, watermelon, love it all!) and I have started feeding crushed egg shells. I've been looking at posts saying "Do give oyster shells", "don't give oyster shells", "give grit", "don't give grit"...... Do my chicks need to have grit supplemented in their diet?? And, do they need oyster shells?

I've got 3 hens & 1 rooster. They're about 4 months old now. They love their little coop that's about 10x10 with a dirt & wheat straw bottom. I feed them regular chicken feed with a high protein content and also give them veggies and fruits on a daily basis (zucchini, tomatoes, oranges, bananas, watermelon, love it all!) and I have started feeding crushed egg shells. I've been looking at posts saying "Do give oyster shells", "don't give oyster shells", "give grit", "don't give grit"...... Do my chicks need to have grit supplemented in their diet?? And, do they need oyster shells?
They need the grit to help digest all the extras you are feeding, they don't need the egg shells or oyster shells until they are laying..

They get some grit from the soil but all soil isn't the same.
Some soils are high in sand/ gravel others are mostly clay and very little sand/gravel so it is best to have a grit for them.
You can go to most any home improvement store and get a bag of all purpose sand and use it as a grit.

I am new also and have questions about oyster shells - or calcium supplements in general. I don't have any oyster shells and wasn't planning to go to TSC until next week. What else can I give to make sure they are getting enough calcium? I have read about crushed up egg shells - do I just sprinkle that on the ground or mix it with feed or mix it with scratch? Any other sources of calcium that are good for my girls?

I do offer grit to mine because they free range and I give fruit/veggie snacks. I just have the grit in a smaller feeder next to the regular feed. They don't eat it often, I trust that they self regulate. I was told that if they free range they will probably find rocks and bits to eat outside, but it gives me a sense of security to provide it for them. Rocks don't spoil, so I figure the $6 I spent on the bag of grit that will never expire was worth it!

In a pinch eggshells can be used but it isn't the best type of calcium.
Hens need a large particle calcium source like oyster shells and calcium carbonate, egg shells are a small particle.

I am new also and have questions about oyster shells - or calcium supplements in general. I don't have any oyster shells and wasn't planning to go to TSC until next week. What else can I give to make sure they are getting enough calcium? I have read about crushed up egg shells - do I just sprinkle that on the ground or mix it with feed or mix it with scratch? Any other sources of calcium that are good for my girls? I do offer grit to mine because they free range and I give fruit/veggie snacks. I just have the grit in a smaller feeder next to the regular feed. They don't eat it often, I trust that they self regulate. I was told that if they free range they will probably find rocks and bits to eat outside, but it gives me a sense of security to provide it for them. Rocks don't spoil, so I figure the $6 I spent on the bag of grit that will never expire was worth it!
I give them egg shells whenever I have them or when I give other goodies. I do crush them up and leave them in the metal pan I have. love the feeders!! I made one for their feed and will be making another for the grit once I get to the local feed store.

Rocks don't spoil, so I figure the $6 I spent on the bag of grit that will never expire was worth it!

You can give oyster shell in a PVC pipes the size of the grit pipe. Oyster shell doesn't spoil ether so if your current hens don't need it a future chicken could.

I find oyster shell a little on the expensive side now days so i use crushed egg shells as much as possible. If i start running low on eggshells I mix the eggshells and oyster shell together and add the mix into the same pipe.

Back
Top Bottom