Grit, Oyster Shells, Chickens, Oh my!

I am new also and have questions about oyster shells - or calcium supplements in general. I don't have any oyster shells and wasn't planning to go to TSC until next week. What else can I give to make sure they are getting enough calcium? I have read about crushed up egg shells - do I just sprinkle that on the ground or mix it with feed or mix it with scratch? Any other sources of calcium that are good for my girls?
Just wanted to chime in since what I would have said was not already said. How old are your birds? They don't need extra calcium til they start to lay. It looks like you have a commercial feed, if they are laying is it a layer feed? If so, it will have a good amount of calcium and you have time to get to tsc and get oyster shell to then provide free choice, like your grit, btw nice pvc feeders! Yes, you can provide cleaned egg shells, crushed up good so as not to resemble eggs in nests- don't want to start bad egg eating habits :), either in a bowl or on the ground.

Just wanted to chime in since what I would have said was not already said. How old are your birds? They don't need extra calcium til they start to lay. It looks like you have a commercial feed, if they are laying is it a layer feed? If so, it will have a good amount of calcium and you have time to get to tsc and get oyster shell to then provide free choice, like your grit, btw nice pvc feeders! Yes, you can provide cleaned egg shells, crushed up good so as not to resemble eggs in nests- don't want to start bad egg eating habits :), either in a bowl or on the ground.
My chickens are 20 weeks today and have not started to lay yet. I plan to start the laying feed and offering oyster shells as soon as I get a chance to get to the store. I have offered crushed egg shells for the past two days - mixed in with some strawberry tops and oats. They ate some.
Thank you, I am pretty proud of my feeders and my waterer with horizontal poultry nipples. All work great and make chicken care super easy!

My chickens are 20 weeks today and have not started to lay yet. I plan to start the laying feed and offering oyster shells as soon as I get a chance to get to the store. I have offered crushed egg shells for the past two days - mixed in with some strawberry tops and oats. They ate some.
Thank you, I am pretty proud of my feeders and my waterer with horizontal poultry nipples. All work great and make chicken care super easy!
welcome-byc.gif
Perfect timing I'd say.

We decided to go with the higher protein Flockraiser feed that does not contain calcium. To supplement, I bought the 50(?) lb bags of oyster shell and grit (the large stuff, not play sand size). I put two "chick feeders" in the coop, one with oyster and one with grit...and they do eat it when they need it.

Recently began to put several piles of both oyster and grit in strategic places around the yard for when they get supervised free range. Under the shed, near the main scratch area, and a couple other places where they like to hang out. They are definitely eating it...and both 50 lb bags were really cheap, I think about $10 each and last forever.

Edit:

Grit (25# bag) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg;-poultry-grit-25-lb

Oyster Shell (50# bag) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg;-oyster-shell-50-lb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom