Grit substitute?

I have forgotten to use grit for periods of time and the only thing that happened is that the hens laid less eggs. The grit just maximizes their nutritional intake however they will get enough nutrition to survive without grit. I wouldn't worry about a small period of time with no grit. Also if they free range they likely find their own grit, if you have a gravel driveway you can always pick out grit sized stones and throw them into their habitat and if they need it they will use it.

There's a reason the bags of feed you get are called "complete feed". That's because you don't have to buy all kinds of other additives for the birds.
Grit isn’t an additive, it’s a whole separate thing. Grit large enough for a chicken to use would be easy to notice in a bag of food. Can you show a picture of the grit in the food?

Grit isn’t an additive, it’s a whole separate thing. Grit large enough for a chicken to use would be easy to notice in a bag of food. Can you show a picture of the grit in the food?
It's pressed into the pellets. You really should do some research. I want you to find me some scholarly articles, from a RELIABLE source (.edu websites are a good starting place) and then come back and post it here for us to see. Find evidence either confirming or denying the presence of an ingredient that acts as grit (note: it isn't gonna be called "grit") in chicken feed. Now, go do your homework and gain some knowledge. Your posts are becoming quite foolish

It's pressed into the pellets. You really should do some research. I want you to find me some scholarly articles, from a RELIABLE source (.edu websites are a good starting place) and then come back and post it here for us to see. Find evidence either confirming or denying the presence of an ingredient that acts as grit (note: it isn't gonna be called "grit") in chicken feed. Now, go do your homework and gain some knowledge. Your posts are becoming quite foolish
Um, the pellets aren’t big enough to fit large enough grit into them. My reliable sources are me not seeing any grit in my chicken feed, even when I smash the pellets.

Soluble grit is in feed, as it is calcium supplements, but @black_cat needs insoluble grit for her birds. So small rocks and such.

Back
Top Bottom