Grit--When and Why.

Quote:
Parrots (hookbills) do not require grit and it will and can kill them. Softbill birds require grit.

Why the difference?

Hookbills have powerful beaks and they break their food up before eating.

Softbills are straight beak birds and cannot break their food up. They swallow the pieces whole, so require grit in the gizzard to grind the food.

Yes, most parrots don't need grit. And yet how many petstores sell grit labeled especially for parakeets?!

We keep two species of parrots as well as ringneck doves. The difference is obvious: the doves swallow their seeds whole (and they do use grit), while the parrots hull their seeds with their beaks and tongue and swallow only the kernel inside, leaving the husks behind in their dish.

Quote:
Parrots (hookbills) do not require grit and it will and can kill them. Softbill birds require grit.

Why the difference?

Hookbills have powerful beaks and they break their food up before eating.

Softbills are straight beak birds and cannot break their food up. They swallow the pieces whole, so require grit in the gizzard to grind the food.

Yes, most parrots don't need grit. And yet how many petstores sell grit labeled especially for parakeets?!

We keep two species of parrots as well as ringneck doves. The difference is obvious: the doves swallow their seeds whole (and they do use grit), while the parrots hull their seeds with their beaks and tongue and swallow only the kernel inside, leaving the husks behind in their dish.

This is something that has been done for years, I cannot tell you why it started, but parakeets are hookbills and do not need grit - they continue to sell it that way instead if relabeling it softbill grit (I think because most people think of 'keets as "small" birds). I have found that stores often sell things that are not needed nor healthy
big_smile.png

I have never seen my birds (parrots; CAGs, Goffins, Orange Wings, Macaw or Cockatiel) swallow anything hard whole. They will hold the whole seed in their beak after hulling and then break it up, grinding lower mandible against the upper. Things like berry seeds (rasberry) will pass thru a parrot if not ground by the beak. Although I have assisted with surgeries on other peoples' parrots who have swallowed whole hard pieces - usually beads, bolts, nuts (metal not eatable), wire, and rope pieces.

Back
Top Bottom