grit

Toddgordon

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
We have (3) 4 week old Delaware "Hens". They are on a "starter" feed. When should I give grit and how much? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to BYC!
Grit is important for more than just digestion of the feed the birds are on in the moment. While the feed you are giving now is water soluble and doesn't require grit for digestion, there is good information out there on the importance of providing age appropriate grit throughout the birds' lifespan in order to best develop the gizzard and for overall best health. This thread has some great information to consider: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry.891051/

Welcome to BYC!
Grit is important for more than just digestion of the feed the birds are on in the moment. While the feed you are giving now is water soluble and doesn't require grit for digestion, there is good information out there on the importance of providing age appropriate grit throughout the birds' lifespan in order to best develop the gizzard and for overall best health. This thread has some great information to consider: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry.891051/
Great information. Thank you so much. I had chickens as a kid however we lived on a farm and it was my dad and older brother taking care of the animals. LOL.

I usually let them run around for awhile supervised at around 3-4 weeks, if they are feeling brave and the weather permits. Make sure they have access to their normal food and water. They will also start to explore and eat grass, bugs, leaves, etc. so this is usually when I start to offer chick grit in a dish next to their food. Adult chickens need larger pieces of grit. Essentially it acts in place of having teeth to grind up food they have trouble digesting.
:welcome

I usually let them run around for awhile supervised at around 3-4 weeks, if they are feeling brave and the weather permits. Make sure they have access to their normal food and water. They will also start to explore and eat grass, bugs, leaves, etc. so this is usually when I start to offer chick grit in a dish next to their food. Adult chickens need larger pieces of grit. Essentially it acts in place of having teeth to grind up food they have trouble digesting.
:welcome
Ok thank you. going today to get grit and oyster shells.

:welcomeHello, glad you have joined us.
Just making sure you mean chick grit ( the small stuff) for your chicks.
And oyster shells for layers? Don't use oyster shells for the babies.
Ok just small chick grit. Oyster shells for when they are grown?

Ok just small chick grit. Oyster shells for when they are grown?
Calcium supplements aren't needed until they start to lay, and not recommended before 18 weeks old. Younger and it can cause serious problems ( kidney failure I think).

When your pullets reach laying age, you can use a layer feed and it has supplemental calcium in the mix.

Commercial grit comes in baby chick size and chicken size.

Back
Top Bottom