1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bunky8384, Sep 12, 2018.

1. bunky8384

bunky8384 Chirping

Aug 25, 2018
    SW Michigan
    What is the best way to feed my chicks grit? Do I just leave a feeder out with it? Also, do I need to get chick grit or would any poultry grit be fine?

My chicks are 7-8 weeks and have some 2 week EE's still in a brooder, no adults.

Thanks!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you are just feeding starter than grit isn't necessary. If you want to offer some get the chick grit. Often at that age mine are outside, or I give them a chunk of sod with soil and they find their own grit.

ronott1 and chickens really like this.
  3. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    The Tree Farm, Alberta
    You can feed it free choice, but as @oldhenlikesdogs said, it's only necessary when they are eating things like grass and bugs.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    At 7-8 weeks they can probably take smaller adult grit. If you leave out a dish of it, they can pick and choose what they need.

snow5164 and ronott1 like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I 'made' my own chick grit by sifting a 5# bag of regular grit from the feed mill thru a colander with 1/8" holes in it...yeah, tedious, but now I have a stash of chick grit.

I sprinkle some on a chunk of sod in the brooder the first week,
    then out with cracked grain chick starter in their run.

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Do you mean Grit or Oyster shell?..Many people confuse the two. I toss Grit in my Run only in winter for my Birds . Summer they scratch up enough for themselves. Oyster shell is for active layers..

Criticalicious likes this.
  7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I've been mixing Chick Grit with Start & Grow feed. 2 ounces Grit with 5 pounds of feed since 2 weeks of age. That's a 40 to 1 ratio.
    They turned 4 weeks yesterday. 20180909_141448.jpg . I will do this till 8 weeks or so when i transition to Poultry Grit. GC

8. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Better to offer chick grit in a dish on the side and let them decide how much they need. At first they will fill up on it, but after a few days, they'll slow down and only take what they need.

9. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    That's the thing I'm afraid of..... they gobbling down too much grit and causes some sort of stomach issue which is why I just throw some on the ground spread around everyone once a week or so. Sometimes I sprinkle it onto their feed too.

10. I use empty Vienna Sausage cans that have had the open edge gone over with a can opener to reduce sharp edges. I also knock 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of the can with a 16 penny nail. These holes in the bottom of the can are for drainage.

Then I drill 4 holes on the side of the can in the shape of a square and use these 4 drilled holds to fix the aluminum can onto the inside of the coop using short pieces of 17 gauge electric fence wire. Where ever you put your cans of grit make sure that the chickens can't scratch the can full of dirt or litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: