Grit

LVVCHAP

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
PA
I have been told that you can feed too much grit. Do you feed them as much as they want or give only so much at a time?

I measure mine per the instructions in the grit/feed ratio. It's 1 lb grit to 20 lb feed according to the brand I buy

Free range chickens are free to pick up as much grit as they choose-I've never known one to OD on it.

I agree with NYREDS. Adult chickens can regulate how much they need if it's available to them. I have seen really young chicks get a little greedy with grit, so wouldn't offer them alot.

I put my empty eggshells in the microwave to kill any bacteria, put them in my food processor, grind them up and give to my chickens. They love it! They usually eat what they need..

Quote:
Which is a very good way to provide them with extra calcium, but that's not the same thing as grit.
Crushed oyster shell or egg shells to provide calcium for laying hens.
Grit to enable them to grind up their feed.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Which is a very good way to provide them with extra calcium, but that's not the same thing as grit.
Crushed oyster shell or egg shells to provide calcium for laying hens.
Grit to enable them to grind up their feed.

So grit, and oyster-shell are different products? My flock is free-range (pasture chikins), but i recently looked into getting some "grit". The only thing i found was the oyster-shell, and the guy at the store said it was the same..... He looked like the only thing he knew of chickens was KFC.....
big_smile.png
Guess i'm a lil confused

Quote:
Feed store personnel are notorious for giving bad advice. Of course if they don't have what you need they are going to try and sell you something else and tell you it's the same thing.
Grit and oyster shell are different.
If you're free ranging your chickens are probably finding plenty of small rocks and pebbles to use for grit.
Laying hens need oyster shell. The layer feed I use has calcium in it, but I offer them a little extra as insurance.
Edited to add: As an example - I moved my oyster shell and grit trays outside the other day when I was turning the shavings in the coop. I forgot about them and it rained hard overnight. The grit was fine, still hard as a rock (pardon the pun), but the oyster shell is now chalk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom