Grit

I have 4 pullets no roo yet but also have 4 unsexed silkie crosses that 5 weeks and 33 quails and 4 brahmas due today lol next week when chicks get to 6 weeks il take them off chick crumb and put them on growers feed til about 16 weeks then change them on to layer feed xxx

Thanks. That's helpful (and also explains why chick grit appears to be passing straight through). I've got loads of chick grit & also loads of mixed chicken grit (soluble & insoluble mixed). I'll perhaps mix some up and begin to transition to the larger mixed? I didn't want to offer it too early as it's got calcium in. I've bought the wrong stuff, haven't I?

Did the mixed size grit come with both soluble and insoluble mixed, or did you mix it? Best to offer soluble and insoluble in separate containers, so birds can choose what they need without accidentally ingesting extra calcium. For birds that aren't laying, you don't want want them on extra calcium, as they don't need it and too much calcium can cause organ damage over time.

Did the mixed size grit come with both soluble and insoluble mixed, or did you mix it? Best to offer soluble and insoluble in separate containers, so birds can choose what they need without accidentally ingesting extra calcium. For birds that aren't laying, you don't want want them on extra calcium, as they don't need it and too much calcium can cause organ damage over time.
Thanks for the reply.

Yup, the 'mixed' refers to the info in the pic attached.

Not helpful when I wanted to leave insoluble (grinding) for roo & pull, and separate soluble (calcium) for laying.

That said, someone else posed an interesting Q - surely if chickens can differentiate between two pots then they can also differentiate between two things in one pot?

Here's the pics :)
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, the 'mixed' refers to the info in the pic attached.

Not helpful when I wanted to leave insoluble (grinding) for roo & pull, and separate soluble (calcium) for laying.

That said, someone else posed an interesting Q - surely if chickens can differentiate between two pots then they can also differentiate between two things in one pot?

They possibly could, but especially with younger birds, I wouldn't count on it, especially since the pieces look similar-ish in size.

I figure it's like if you were offered a mixed bowl of nuts, and had to blindly reach in and grab the ones you wanted while there were other ones you absolutely didn't want. You'd probably be able to feel for the ones you wanted most of the time, but some accidental unwanted ones would slip in.

I guess if you want to be an overachiever you could pick out the oyster shell and then rinse off the insoluble grit for good measure. Shouldn't need too much of it (assuming you don't have a huge flock), maybe just a handful, to get the girls at least to point of lay.

Back
Top Bottom