Grit ?

blb

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Maryland
My chicks are 2 weeks old and have been going outside during the day in their run in the grass. They found worms and I have given them yogert. When daughter gets home from the store am trying grapes too. I thought that if they are spending time outside in the dirt/grass they don't need grit as they will get what they need from the ground. Is this true? If not, what grit can I use for chicks?

2 weeks old and outside already??? In Maryland?? What is the temp there? My chicks stay indoors under a heat lamp until they move outside at 6 weeks. Or if warm enough without the lamp, they stay inside. They should also be strictly on chick starter for 6 weeks, I've been told.....

Last edited:
It has been in the 80's and 90's. Today it is in the 70's.

I have read you can give them treats starting 1-2 weeks. They seem very healthy and love it outside.

Last edited:
You can sprinkle grit over their food like you would salt over your own. I'm sure you don't mean that your chicks are living outside, just taking a few day trips on warm, sunny days, right? That's fine, but they do need their heat lamp for a few more weeks yet, til they're fully feathered out. Have fun!!

Whoops! Yeah, chick grit only at this age-sorry!!

Last edited:
Ty. Yes they are inside at night.

Ok, I will go get grit today. Thanks again.

oh and btw, just got some strawberries. Can I give them one?

Make sure it is chick grit, not chicken grit (too big). I do not mix grit into the feed. I offer it in a seperate container. It is available to them 24 x 7. They consume it as they need it.

I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of opinions given here.

Grit is a good idea, but most people don't have such smooth silky soil (rock free) that the chicks wouldn't be o.k. I haven't given any chicken grit for a year and a half, and i have had no problems. I'm not saying you should NOT give grit. I'm just saying it's not an absolute for everyone.

As to the two-weekers being outside. That's fantastic and the best thing for them. Mama hens take their babies outside on day two or three, and they're healthier for it.

I canNOT imagine keeping chicks under a lamp for six weeks. I know i live in the south, so it's different as far as temperatures, but chickens are not allergic to the outdoors; they're healthier for being outside....and so are you to avoid breathing all their dust. Also, most breeds are quite well feathered before six weeks.

I'm sure i'm a rebel to popular opinion, but i have never needed to keep chicks under a lamp past week two. They rebel against it and act better without the heat.

Also, they will LOVE the strawberries.

As to grit.....i'm not completely unreasonable.....a good rule to follow is that if you could mash the food between your tongue and gums, then the chick should be able to digest it without grit.

I respect everyone's opinions and experience here; i just don't think different people's ways of doing things should be presented as absolutes.

I just offer grit free choice. Then if they need it, they will take it, if not they will leave it alone.
Of course the reality is that they usually just spill it in about 30 seconds. LOL - but they can dig it out of the bedding if they really need it.

Back
Top Bottom