Grit!!!

I start giving my chicks grit at about three weeks. I use the boxed type from Walmart that is usually given to parakeets and small birds. I sprinkle it on the starter feed when they start getting mealworms. I do this for about two weeks then gradually introduce regular grit and oyster shell(sift the oyster shell so they don't get the bigger pieces. The oyster shell dissolves in their system. They get let loose in the yard at five weeks and they eat whatever they want at that point. They go on layer feed around 12 weeks (i usually mix the layer feed and starter feed half and half for a couple of weeks) They instinctively know what to eat when they free range. My layers usually start laying at 16-20 weeks and I've never had any weird eggs or complaints from the chickens
I did try just regular grit and oyster shell when I was starting out but a few chicks ended up with stopped up vents and I had to go in with q tips and ointment so the undisolved oyster shell could pass... Never thought I'd be doing that!
Starter feed usually has a measure of sand added.
Once they are on regular feed and grains they get access to all the grit and oyster shell they want. Never had any problems or anyone say "Your doing it wrong"!
Either way that's just the way I do it...

Last edited:
I thought oyster shell was pretty much for layers only, as its just calcium, its not grit. I buy chick grit and sprinkle it in their tubs when they are a couple days old, they love it, I figure if momma was raising them outside they would be already eating gritty things like mom showed them. so it isnt going to hurt them,

Lol just calcium, you crack me up. I raise at least 100 meaties per year. They need calcium for strong bones. Who wants a rubber chicken? Of course they need all the calcium they desire. The meat birds, primarily Cornish cross need calcium because they grow so fast and have a tendency to snap femurs at 8 weeks if they are calcium deficient.
It is sad if you have ever seen it... I don't know what momma will do because none of my layers ever take an interest in my meat birds except the occasional cockerel that wants to be in charge..

Last edited:
I noticed that there's an in between food. Finisher. Anyone have thoughts on that? I have my girls on that since they are 15-18 weeks but not laying yet.

That's another question. I thought I'd have eggs by now. What gives? I've got a bunch of freeloaders.

The feed store I use, locally owned, own their own chickens and other livestock, just changed us over to All Flock, mine are five weeks old...mixing the last of the crumbles in with the pellets...the recommened time, according my feed store is about 5-7 weeks to an in between feed, such as the all flock. I have 3 cockerels, and the layer is hard on them so going to wait till close to POL, to add some oyster shells for the girls!

I have a question, short of building a wood box and attaching it to the wall, for a temp container, till next week-end, any ideas on a container they won't tip over? I have tried, a baking sheet, a round baking pan, a plastic longer container, their chick feeder, so far, all have been tipped and dumped.

Think I will have to make and attach something to the wall?????? or anyone have ideas that works for 15 pullets/cockerels?

Thanks!

I noticed that there's an in between food.  Finisher.  Anyone have thoughts on that?  I have my girls on that since they are 15-18 weeks but not laying yet. 

That's another question.  I thought I'd have eggs by now.  What gives?  I've got a bunch of freeloaders.

Oh those ridiculous free loading chickens! Actually, 18 weeks is usually the EARLIEST most chickens will start to lay, though I have had several start laying a little earlier. I have also had chickens start at 28 to 30 weeks old. Just gotta be patient.

if you have room, a big metal feeder that is circular will probably not get tipped over, but it they are still tipping that over, put a rock in it that is heavy enough to hold it in place, but not so big that there isn't room for the feed to fall into the surrounding circular feed area. I have a plastic circular feeder that sits on the ground and that works well for me, and they don't tip it over, but sounds like you have some pretty athletic chickens! The problem with nailing it to the wall is that they poop in their feed, that would be difficult to clean if you had to remove it on a regular basis. If you have a Tractor Supply store near you, they sell these feeders, or you could also look on line.

Back
Top Bottom