Grocery Store Chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lnm03, Jun 8, 2010.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    I typically don't buy grocery store chicken, well not for the last year when we started raising our own meaties, but were out of chicken (meaties are 3 weeks) and my nephew only eats chicken and stayed for the weekend so I went and bought two whole chickens and both legs were broke on both chickens!!! [​IMG] Is that because of how they were raised or is it because of how they were processed? I've never seen that before!!! [​IMG]

2. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    that's strange. i've never had broken legs on store bought chicken.where exactly were they broken?

3. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    the bone just above the joint was completely broke in half

4. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    could have happened in procesing

5. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    I once got a cornish hen that was missing a whole wing and so mangled that I wouldn't cook it. Soon we will no longer need to buy "industrialized" poultry. I finally decided when I found out that they intentionally add Arsenic to commercial poultry feed! There is no FDA requirement to test the chicken for arsenic before selling it. I'll raise my own food, thank you.

6. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    ARSENIC???? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Are you serious???? I am SO glad we started raising our own meaties!

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Mountaire includes low levels of arsenic in the diet. They claim it's not passed through the meat. [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Mountaire includes low levels of arsenic in the diet. They claim it's not passed through the meat. [​IMG]

Good grief. Any idea why they would do that? There must be a purpose. That doesn't excuse it, but I'm curious.

9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Supposedly it's used to promote growth, improve the color of the meat and kill parasites. Real comforting!!! I'm real surprised you found a chicken in that condition. The chicken meat industry would generally sell a chicken like that cut into pieces, so they could remove (hide) the broken parts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  10. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    I was surpised too!!!

Finding things out like arsenic in feed and all the other things they do to our chicken and other meats might lead me to be a "chicken only" kinda girl because i dont have the means to raise other meats!

I am so glad were able to provide good chicken for my children!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by