Grocery Store Chicken

lnm03

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 6, 2008
I typically don't buy grocery store chicken, well not for the last year when we started raising our own meaties, but were out of chicken (meaties are 3 weeks) and my nephew only eats chicken and stayed for the weekend so I went and bought two whole chickens and both legs were broke on both chickens!!!
ep.gif
Is that because of how they were raised or is it because of how they were processed? I've never seen that before!!!
hu.gif

the bone just above the joint was completely broke in half

I once got a cornish hen that was missing a whole wing and so mangled that I wouldn't cook it. Soon we will no longer need to buy "industrialized" poultry. I finally decided when I found out that they intentionally add Arsenic to commercial poultry feed! There is no FDA requirement to test the chicken for arsenic before selling it. I'll raise my own food, thank you.

ARSENIC????
ep.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
Are you serious???? I am SO glad we started raising our own meaties!

Quote:
Mountaire includes low levels of arsenic in the diet. They claim it's not passed through the meat.
roll.png

Good grief. Any idea why they would do that? There must be a purpose. That doesn't excuse it, but I'm curious.

Supposedly it's used to promote growth, improve the color of the meat and kill parasites. Real comforting!!! I'm real surprised you found a chicken in that condition. The chicken meat industry would generally sell a chicken like that cut into pieces, so they could remove (hide) the broken parts.

Last edited:
I was surpised too!!!

Finding things out like arsenic in feed and all the other things they do to our chicken and other meats might lead me to be a "chicken only" kinda girl because i dont have the means to raise other meats!

I am so glad were able to provide good chicken for my children!!!

Back
Top Bottom