Grocery store eggs series 2021

So here’s the final information on the duck eggs:

6 eggs were initially set. 1 was double yolk, so no development. Of the remaining 5, 1 embryo died about a week into incubation. 1 died probably late in the 3rd week, and one made it all the way to lockdown but did not pip (eggtopsy showed it was in a breach position; don’t know if that was the sole cause).

That leaves us with two ducklings, hatched almost exactly 24 hours apart. Here are Siu Mai and Dantaat (don-tot). I think they’re Pekins, just because that’s the only mallard-type white duck I know. Siu’s head is darker yellow though .:confused:

View attachment 2512936
That there was any success was surprising. These eggs were near freezing when I bought them, and no telling how long they had been so cold, much less any other shipping/storage conditions. It took hours for them to get warm enough to even go in the incubator.

Next in the series: The next grocery store egg incubation will be coturnix quail eggs. I don’t have a schedule for those yet, as I’m going to focus on the long term duckling plan for a bit first. Need to get their college fund started and all that. ;) Really that’s the thing I have to stress here — grocery store egg hatches are really fun, as long as you are prepared for what comes out. Of course that’s true of any eggs. :)
Excellent! Beautiful healthy ducklings. Well done.

So here’s the final information on the duck eggs:

6 eggs were initially set. 1 was double yolk, so no development. Of the remaining 5, 1 embryo died about a week into incubation. 1 died probably late in the 3rd week, and one made it all the way to lockdown but did not pip (eggtopsy showed it was in a breach position; don’t know if that was the sole cause).

That leaves us with two ducklings, hatched almost exactly 24 hours apart. Here are Siu Mai and Dantaat (don-tot). I think they’re Pekins, just because that’s the only mallard-type white duck I know. Siu’s head is darker yellow though .:confused:

View attachment 2512936
That there was any success was surprising. These eggs were near freezing when I bought them, and no telling how long they had been so cold, much less any other shipping/storage conditions. It took hours for them to get warm enough to even go in the incubator.

Next in the series: The next grocery store egg incubation will be coturnix quail eggs. I don’t have a schedule for those yet, as I’m going to focus on the long term duckling plan for a bit first. Need to get their college fund started and all that. ;) Really that’s the thing I have to stress here — grocery store egg hatches are really fun, as long as you are prepared for what comes out. Of course that’s true of any eggs. :)
What an awesome thread and great outcome! Thanks for sharing this journey!

Photo update:

5A528EEF-580B-46C9-B70E-9E8B076480CD.jpeg

Same bin, same towel, same ducklings 8 days later. These guys grow FAST!

Better chance if you buy eggs from a healthfood store, and if they say they are fertile. Some organic eggs you can get at a healthfood store a regular store, may not be. (wilcox is not fertile.) If it says local farm, and you see where the farm is located then maybe yes.

I had been getting my hatching eggs at a healthfood store. They got eggs from 3 local farms so I knew their farms. I check the dates and get the freshest ones and sometimes will ask when they are delivered. One time I bought 3 cartons of farm eggs that I usually hatch from and they must not have had roosters at that point because none of the eggs were fertile.

One way to go is get a carton that you may think is fertile, then candle them all. If they have big aircells there is a smaller chance they will hatch. If you candle and have one egg that you decide not to set, because of it's shape or flaw, use that egg as a test to see if it is fertile. bust it open and inspect it!

Back
Top Bottom