Going to try and hatch grocery store chicken eggs!

I know the chances of this working is very very low but its an exciting and fun little experiment! I am currently in Denmark and bought some organic free range chicken eggs. There are 6 and they were refrigerated so this should be interesting! Right now I have them sitting to reach about room temperature before I put them in the incubator. So they will go in today and I will candle around maybe the 7th day maybe sooner. Has anyone else tried this? Or even had success? 😂 any advice, tips and or tricks!?
Do you know if there are roosters at the farm those eggs came from? If not, just have yourself a hearty breakfast!

I know the chances of this working is very very low but its an exciting and fun little experiment! I am currently in Denmark and bought some organic free range chicken eggs. There are 6 and they were refrigerated so this should be interesting! Right now I have them sitting to reach about room temperature before I put them in the incubator. So they will go in today and I will candle around maybe the 7th day maybe sooner. Has anyone else tried this? Or even had success? 😂 any advice, tips and or tricks!?
I have noted that in my cage free brown eggs there are blood spots frequently and always wondered if they were fertile and could still be incubated. I'll be interested in finding out how you do.

Usually, store bought, commercially grown eggs are not fertilized as there is no rooster in the hen house. There are 3,000 hens or more in each chicken house but not one rooster. I think it is cool that you want to try this, and please don't think I want to discourage you. I love experimenting, myself. If these are from a local farm that has roosters, then yes there is a chance. A friend of mine hatched some of my eggs that had been refrigerated. She got about 1-2 chicks for every dozen.eggs.
Good luck!

UPDATE: Day 5 for the first batch of chicken eggs and DAY 4 for the quail eggs and second batch of chicken eggs. Unfortunately I don’t see any development within these eggs. Surely by day 5 I should see at least something but nope. That’s okay though it was a fun experiment and I’m definitely going to try again! Stay tuned for that. This time I’ll try Demeter eggs people have been recommending!
Keep trying! Science is fun!

Unfortunately the experiment was a fail! But it was fun to try! Nothing developed at all cracked them all open and were infertile. I definitely wanna try again with different eggs!
The chicken breeds that have been bred to lay big eggs, are too small for the eggs they lay. A danish study showed that out of 4800 chickens that were examined for keel bone fracture, 4100 had that type of fracture. It's animal cruelty.. https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/927254

So if you want chickens that have a good life, don't incubate eggs from chicken breeds that have been bred to lay big eggs like the ones from the store.

The chicken breeds that have been bred to lay big eggs, are too small for the eggs they lay. A danish study showed that out of 4800 chickens that were examined for keel bone fracture, 4100 had that type of fracture. It's animal cruelty.. https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/927254

So if you want chickens that have a good life, don't incubate eggs from chicken breeds that have been bred to lay big eggs like the ones from the store.
Thanks for sharing. A few days ago I made a remark that it’s a kind of animal abuse to breed for max production (farming industry) or max looks (show animals) . This confirms my concerns.
I want to share this in @Shadrach thread about ex-battery chickens in an allotment he cares for.

Unfortunately the experiment was a fail! But it was fun to try! Nothing developed at all cracked them all open and were infertile. I definitely wanna try again with different eggs!
There are stores here in the states that carry pastured eggs with roosters in the flock. Not every store in the chain carries the same eggs. The store that does has eggs that are too old to be viable. I'm in Missouri, the farm is in Wisconsin. From there they go to a distribution center in Chicago, IL. and then to us. By the time they get here they are well over 10 days old.
Did you check the packing date on the eggs you set?

Back
Top Bottom