Grocery Store Goose

around here lamb is $50-70.00 for ONE part of a leg of lamb!!!!!!! I told my mom........................ give me $50.00 more and I can raise a WHOLE lamb for next to nothing!!!! AND we get more than just the leg!!!

Lamb is expensive in my area as well. I'm lucky to have my own and we take one to the butcher each year and stock up the fridge. People that come over and want to buy lamb try to offer me $50.00 for a lamb. I fall out laughing when I hear that. :lau REALLY? SERIOUSLY? $50.00? :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau

. During the summer when I am at my home in upstate NY I dont buy goose, but just shoot a canadian goos right on my property and it is certainly as good as the store bought but a bit more work in the cleaning and preparing.
On board with you here but most people would have a hard time with a wild goose. The so called "gamey" taste it is said to have versus a farm raised with grain taste. The "gamey taste" is all in peoples mind, I explain to people that it is a taste that your tongue is not familiar with and brain treating it that way. But as with any animal whether it wild or domesticated its flavor depends on diet for the most part.

Does a goose taste like a duck?

While I have had both domesticated and wild versions of both. The best can tell you is that they are similar but different. Sort of like turkey and chicken, while both are similar in texture and color of meat the taste difference is subtle but noticeable. Wild compared to domestic there is also a subtle but noticeable difference for a couple of reasons, diet being one and wild birds fly, a lot. The meat in a wild bird has a heavier taste due to all that flying as muscle tissue is flush with blood.

As for the geese that I shoot in the summer, I think their taste is every bit as good as the domesticated, store bought. I am a big fan of all sorts of wild game, including duck, geese, deer, wild pig, etc. so maybe I just dont really notice what some people may refer to as "gamey". I do find that the wild canadian geese have quite a bit less fat so I do not need to cook them as long. I will also say that I much prefer the wild birds that I shoot to almost any store bought bird because, especially for chicken, I do not trust the way the chickens are raised and processed. I love chicken and would love to find someone near to where we live who raises chickens for meat.

And as for home raise lamb, I would pay any sum for that either fresh or frozen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom