grocery store quail eggs have hatched

CptKirk

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2019
Although it was a long day, three of the four eggs that developed have now hatched, all of them today. One of them will not stop shrieking if I walk more than a few feet away, all he wants is to be held in cupped hands, although I don't think he has quite figured out yet that the incubator is much warmer and nicer than my hands. He had blood oozing out of a crack in his shell this morning when I woke up, so I thought he was dead, but now I think maybe he just managed to nick a vein when opening up? I sat there all sad, looking at the egg with the spot of blood on the pip, sure he was dead, but then he wiggled and wobbled and eventually zipped -- although he did it pretty much in the middle of the egg rather than the big end.

The second to hatch was the biggest egg, and definitely the fiercest. He pipped on Friday night, and this afternoon zipped in maybe ten minutes, kicked his way out, and seemed pretty content to nap.

The third (and final, am pretty sure the fourth chick died in its shell) busted out about two hours ago. She had her little umbilical still attached, which really upset her, but I just left her alone to rest and hoped it would dry up and detach -- it did. She's working on drying her fluff now, and once she is, everyone will get to live in the brooder together.

Long day, good day! I am trying not to get too attached, since I know they still may not survive, but these little noisy bugs are so precious, you guys.

Congratulations on the new tiny ones!!! What store sells quail eggs, by the way? And any idea what kind they are yet?

They didn't have a brand that I saw. They just came in tiny clear plastic cases of ten eggs each, $1.79 at Ranch 99, an Asian supermarket. The cases were stacked in bigger cardboard boxes in the egg display, no sticker or ISBN or anything on the plastic cases. It seemed worth a shot, so I brought some home and incubated them, and now here we are.

I am completely new to quail. My guess is maybe they're coturnix quail, since from what Google told me, that's the kind usually used for commercial egg production. The eggs were creamy with dark brown splotches and speckles, and one of them had a sligtly blue interior. The chicks are tiny and striped -- one is mostly black, on has a lot of yellow, and the last one is still too damp to tell lol.

Whatever they are, they are precious little noisy monsters.

Resized_20190811_141610(1).jpg
Resized_20190811_182726(1).jpg

And then here is a link to a video I put on YouTube that just shows when they started rocking -- no hatching in it.

They didn't have a brand that I saw. They just came in tiny clear plastic cases of ten eggs each, $1.79 at Ranch 99, an Asian supermarket. The cases were stacked in bigger cardboard boxes in the egg display, no sticker or ISBN or anything on the plastic cases. It seemed worth a shot, so I brought some home and incubated them, and now here we are.

I am completely new to quail. My guess is maybe they're coturnix quail, since from what Google told me, that's the kind usually used for commercial egg production. The eggs were creamy with dark brown splotches and speckles, and one of them had a sligtly blue interior. The chicks are tiny and striped -- one is mostly black, on has a lot of yellow, and the last one is still too damp to tell lol.

Whatever they are, they are precious little noisy monsters.
That is so cool!!

View attachment 1875525 View attachment 1875526

And then here is a link to a video I put on YouTube that just shows when they started rocking -- no hatching in it.

Hey i got the same small incubator im on day 12 in a few hours did u have temp problems too every time u opened it to turn it ? Also u just took the tray out for lock down and just laid them on the heater to hatch ?

Back
Top Bottom