Gross and Evil or Efficient?

jkg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
AZ
Every now and again I do rotisserie chicken on the grill, and every time, we bag up the carcass with the idea of making soup only to throw the bag away later after forgetting to use it. Last week I instead through the carcass (fully cooked of course) in the chicken run for them to pick at the little bits I couldn't carve up for us.

Is that evil? It did seem a little weird, but it sure is a great source of protein that otherwise would end up in the landfill. The chickens loved it, but I am afraid to go to bed with the lights off now...

Quote:
lau.gif

I know what you mean. It just seems wrong somwhow but they are carnivors. I guess If they don't know the chicken personally that they are canibalizing, what's the harm?
big_smile.png

Edited to add, If I don't have enough time to cook down a carcass, I throw it in the freezer along with any leftover gravy or juices and use it later at my leisure. I don't like to waste a good carcass either.

Last edited:
Quote:
ooh no! do you know what you just did! Save yourself!!!! >>
10638_01.gif

Last edited:
It only felt a little weird the first time I did it. After that.... I'm numb to it now.
smile.png

ETA: Oh, I didn't answer the question! Efficient.

Last edited:
I'm going to give my girls sum chiken next time I cook it.
like the cows say for chick filet - eat more chiken.

makes me laugh when I read on the egg carton- feed vegetarian diet- they want meat!!!
big_smile.png

COOKED chicken?? Heck, mine would eat each other RAW if they could (and sometimes try...) Seriously, they are opportunists and cannibals. And we love them for it.

Noob question here...

I keep seeing things about "vegetarian fed hens" like that makes the eggs (or chickens?) better.

THEN I had a friend (fellow chicken-person) who said to give the girls any meat BESIDES chicken. (Mad chicken disease? I dunno)

THEN I hear on this forum that chickens not only like eating chicken, but it's very good for them.

Can someone clear things up for me?
Does it make them more likely to "get after" each other? Is there risk of some type of mad-cow-esque disease? Is it still okay to feed them chicken if it's not "super-granola organic" chicken? I buy typical grocery store meat as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom