Gross, but good?

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
I was going thru my Duncraft catalog, and they have -eek- roasted mealworms. Wormy things kinda gross me out, but if they're good for chickens as a treat, would this be good for them? It's kinda pricey. There's about 10,000 whole or partial worms in a 16 oz sack for 39.95, but it would last long if it's for treats. OR is this not for them? Thanks in advance!

Im not sure about the roasted ones....but my 3 weeks old chicks LOVE live ones. I get mine at the bait shop. I also get them B moths.....they are whitish, and squishy...like a maggot sorta, but a moth larvae. So cute to see them get one, then run in circles chirping like mad....trying to stay away from the others. Roasted ones sound like something you might give a turtle...or lizzard maybe. I dunno. Mine like LIVE FOOD!! LOL

One of the things for alot of the worlds cuisines similar to America's, is that we have a bad habit of cooking things. Cooking destroys some vitamins and nutrients, as they are heat volatile. It may sound gross to eat live meal worms, but they're probably better that way. They eat live foods in many other parts of the world. We only cook food, because, for the most part, it destroys undesired things that may accompany food. Parasites being an example of one.

Last edited:
Luna- You can buy live meal worms and raise them yourself. I've seen something on here about that.... Who posted that? Speak up!
lol.png

Yeah, after looking into some info, live food would be better. I think I'll visit the bait shop, great idea. And, of course, scratching around the yard has GOT to be fun for them, I've got lots of earthworms, and other such wormy things in the yard. Thanks guys.

I got mealworms!!! I ordered some from http://www.wormman.com/ I think I paid 17.00 for 2,000 mealworms back in Nov. Now they have transformed into bugs & have baby mealworms out the ears
tongue.png
I'm trying to let them reproduce for awhile them give some to the chickens.
They are easy to raise ,eat chic starter or pellets & just toss in a slice of potato & sift out their waste every month or so.I keep them in a sweater storage box.Good source of protein & loads of entertainment for baby chics
lol.png

Miriam

Roasted mealworms are ok; we used those once when we first got chickens and only had a few. If you can't stand the squirmy feel of live ones, which are cheaper, and probably taste better and may be better nutritionally, stick them in the fridge, or just keep them outside if you live where it's still cold or cool. They'll go into hibernation, get stiff, and don't move as long as they're cold. We gave them to our Hannah hen when she was so sick and at least got pleasure out of watching HER get pleasure out of them...she lived for those things! (But all our chickens love them, roasted or fresh!)

Quote:
Thanks for the site and i was looking thru there and thinking about doing that myself Is is difficult and what do you do with the bugs when they turn ??
and how do you sift out the waste and is it good for the garden?? Please explain more

Thanks

I buy the super worms for my big girls and the smaller meal worms for the little ones. It so much funny to watch the run around try to keep the others from grabbing their treat. My bantam grabbed a grasshopper the other day and she was running around chirping with it in her mouth and the chirping was letting the other girls know she had something special. If she had been quite the other wounldn't have even known she had anything good to eat.

Back
Top Bottom