Gross! Cracked egg to eat and there was a chick!

camjac

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My daughter (9 yrs old) was making scrambled eggs this morning and called me in the kitchen and said something was in her egg. I go look and it is black in there so I grab a fork and pull it out on a paper towel. IT IS A BABY CHICK FULLY FORMED!
sickbyc.gif
I have never hatched eggs so I don't know how far along it was but gross. We get our eggs from a lady down the road and I don't know if I should tell her (they have a fridge in their little barn by the road and you put your money in a hole in the wall, never met her). This chick had black and white feathers and toenails and looked just like the day old chicks I got 6 weeks ago. The yolk sac was attached and everything. My questions are: Would this chick have hatched after being in the fridge for a week? If these were your eggs would you want to know about it (or should I just let it go)? Thanks for any answers!

I'm not up to the point of selling eggs, yet, but I would prob'ly want to know... It sounds like the chick was close to being ready to hatch, which means it was sat on by a hen for nearly three weeks, which means the lady down the road isn't checking her nesting boxes as well as she should be.

If she had gathered a fertilized egg the day it was laid, put it in the fridge, and it was a couple weeks before it sold, that's OK. But to sell an egg that's been sat on for a couple weeks without candling it to see what's inside is another thing completely.

ewww that is gross. i have regular egg customers and i would want mine to tell me..... since i started selling mine i've always been paranoid of that, even though i collect eggs daily and put them away. some customers don't want them in the fridge so they sit out and i always wonder.

my vote is tell her, just be real nice about it, so she doesn't think you're accusing her of anything.

good luck, glad i don't have to have that conversation!
wink.png

Yeah, I'd be wary of getting eggs from her again. Could be that a broody hen got up off the nest and the lady forgot that's where one was setting at? If it were me, I'd sure want to know so I could make sure it wouldn't happen again.

OMGosh, that is sooo gross!!! How is your daughter doing with this? I would want to know, but then I'm an all day egg checker. So I don't think there would be a chance of that happening. I hope!

Thanks for your input. I was going to write her a nice note just to tell her what happened (not accusing or anything). I have about 3-4 months before I get any eggs so I have been buying from her for $3/dozen. I thought I was getting fresh eggs but I have since changed my mind. I think I will go back to the grocery store until I get my own eggs. It just grosses me out because I know how long that egg had to sit out to get that far along so now I'm thinking that the other eggs might be sitting out and are just not fertilized. Just makes you question if she is finding eggs somewhere in the coop or out in the yard and just plunking them down in an egg carton! YUCK!!!!!

Actually, my daughter was okay. A little freaked out at first but then she cracked another egg (store bought that my dad had just brought me) and proceeded to finish making her scrambled eggs. I called my sister to gross her out and she said if it had happened to her she would never crack or eat another egg again. I had to tell her that she would never have cake or cookies again and she had to rethink that! LOL!
lol.png

That is really gross and I do not think I would be able to eat an egg for a long time! My kids are a little older and would have been ok I think. But I would not buy any more eggs from her. Just because I could not after cracking that open. Not to mention maybe her eggs sit out in the barn a little longer than you thought!

Back
Top Bottom