Ground covering for my run

What size is the run (ft by ft) and how many birds will be kept in it? Are there any existing drainage issues in the location you plan to put it? What is your general climate? Do you plan to cover the run with a solid cover?

I have two Buff Orpingtons, one Rhode Island Red, one Ameracauna, two Blue Silkies and a white Silkie all between 3-4 weeks old. http://a.co/eq4Y0i7

I have two Buff Orpingtons, one Rhode Island Red, one Ameracauna, two Blue Silkies and a white Silkie all between 3-4 weeks old. http://a.co/eq4Y0i7
Oh, that setup well not be adequate for that flock. Prefab kits like that grossly overstate the capacity and us space allowance barely better than battery cages to calculate the number of birds to be housed. This setup also limits the options for run maintenance as the space to bird ratio will mean deep litter and other low maintenance options will mot work due to the excessive bioload. Even eith daily significant maintenance and cleaning your coop, run and birds will be overwhelmed by the mess

Your birds are going to be overcrowded in that coop and run. It looks like the listed dimensions are for the very widest/tallest points meaning the listed width includes both bumped out nest boxes but not the actual coop and run.

Ideally, the minimum square footage per bird is 4 sq ft in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run. Based on the length of 12', I think the width of the actual coop is around 3' and length might be around 4' (that would house 3 large fowl maximum). At 12' x 3'-ish the run would house a maximum of 3 large fowl (not sure but *maybe* you could squeeze in a bantam too).

Oh, that setup well not be adequate for that flock. Prefab kits like that grossly overstate the capacity and us space allowance barely better than battery cages to calculate the number of birds to be housed. This setup also limits the options for run maintenance as the space to bird ratio will mean deep litter and other low maintenance options will mot work due to the excessive bioload. Even eith daily significant maintenance and cleaning your coop, run and birds will be overwhelmed by the mess
I’m rethink
Your birds are going to be overcrowded in that coop and run. It looks like the listed dimensions are for the very widest/tallest points meaning the listed width includes both bumped out nest boxes but not the actual coop and run.

Ideally, the minimum square footage per bird is 4 sq ft in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run. Based on the length of 12', I think the width of the actual coop is around 3' and length might be around 4' (that would house 3 large fowl maximum). At 12' x 3'-ish the run would house a maximum of 3 large fowl (not sure but *maybe* you could squeeze in a bantam too).
thank you. Either I’m building a coop or downsizing to lesser birds

Thank you. Gonna rethink this out.

Oh, that setup well not be adequate for that flock. Prefab kits like that grossly overstate the capacity and us space allowance barely better than battery cages to calculate the number of birds to be housed. This setup also limits the options for run maintenance as the space to bird ratio will mean deep litter and
Also (although I think you shouldn't get that coop and you'd be far better off with a coop and run you build yourself) if you do get that coop you could save some money by buying it direct: http://www.alekoproducts.com/Wooden-Chicken-Coop-143-7x68-5x66-5-Inches-Red-p/dxh1000rd-ap.htm

But for that money I think you could build a much nicer and less expensive coop that would house all the chickens you were planning to get!

Problem is that I already purchased and it has shipped. It was suppose to arrive by today. When it comes in, I’ll either downsize the flock or possibly increase the Sq footage. The run will be easy to extend to increase. The coop itself I’m not sure on.

Also (although I think you shouldn't get that coop and you'd be far better off with a coop and run you build yourself) if you do get that coop you could save some money by buying it direct: http://www.alekoproducts.com/Wooden-Chicken-Coop-143-7x68-5x66-5-Inches-Red-p/dxh1000rd-ap.htm

But for that money I think you could build a much nicer and less expensive coop that would house all the chickens you were planning to get!

Should have joined earlier. Live and learn.

Problem is that I already purchased and it has shipped. It was suppose to arrive by today. When it comes in, I’ll either downsize the flock or possibly increase the Sq footage. The run will be easy to extend to increase. The coop itself I’m not sure on.
Are you an Amazon Prime member? I know that coop wasn't eligible for prime but if you are and call and tell them there's no way it will accommodate your flock because the listed dimensions make it sound like the run and coop are at least 5' wide but the reality is it's only that wide at the nest boxes maybe you can get free return shipping. Or try calling Aleko and tell them the same thing. I've successfully returned things for free after some careful customer service wrangling ;)

It doesn't hurt to try. Here's my post on how to do it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-plan-buying-a-coop.1211855/page-6#post-19304670

Should have joined earlier. Live and learn.
Or at the very least you could call Aleko and since they are also the seller on Amazon try to get some money back so you're only paying what they charge on their own site. I hope they go for it... still I'm sure you'll be able to increase the coop and run size and make it work out.

Back
Top Bottom