ground hogs!

kprhok

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
I noticed a ground hog making a direct line toward my new chickyard which is not really secure at the moment. He saw me standing there and did a quick about-face.

I am wondering if groundhogs are a threat to chickens, eggs, or both.

I just joined and haven't had time to browse through the threads to see if this has already been addressed.

Comments appreciated...
hmm.png

Ground hogs have always been vegetarians in my yard. They like to eat some of the weeds in my country lawn.
big_smile.png

The problem with ground hogs is that they dig. They will often dig a tunnel next to and under buildings. They can cause structural or security issues for a coop or run. Or, they may cause no problem at all. If they don't cause a problem with a building, I take a live and let live approach, here. If they do cause a problem with a building, then they have to go.

If people have horses, I'm sure they need to worry about the holes, too.

Not a threat to the chickens but if you would rather they weren't there, castor oil put down in their tunnels reportedly repels them.
JJ

Given the chance, groundhogs will dig in mounds or rises away from livestock. Often an entrance will begin at the base of a mature tree or stump. They hate dogs and will attack them, and will discourage foxes and coyotes from visiting your property. They may be visiting for a helping from your garden or for some pellets that are scattered on snow or on a pile. Generally they won't trouble you provided your coop is not on the rise they like. If you ever spot one of their many entrances to the tunnel complex you can use Dri-Kill or food-grade DE to assist them with any skin parasites, but the ones I've seen here are very clean and healthy. Since we are on sandy loam, they love it here, but they avoid areas that host heavy livestock, thank good ness. They'll be quite active now that the days are lengthening in the northern hemisphere.
cool.png

Some info-

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=150839

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback and links to groundhog information.

Welcome to BYC.....great to have you....in the next two months you will be surprised on the knowledge you can receive....and in return you will help others as well....
HappyHatch'en

Welcome to BYC.....great to have you....in the next two months you will be surprised on the knowledge you can receive....and in return you will help others as well....
HappyHatch'en

Back
Top Bottom