Ground Rods and connections..

Pics

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
I'm sorry for all these questions and I appreciate all the responses, I'm learning.

So I have the regular fence up and I've trying to figure out how to get 2 sides on the top of the run protection.

I ran two sets of wires around the top. A ground wire and a hot wire. I spaced it so both will be touched. I attached the hot to an existing hot wire. It's hard to test because my testy thing don't reach that high but it is hot up to the point I can reach.

I'm picking up a second ground rod today.my question is the connection.

Do I connect the ground wire from the top directly to the 2nd ground rod and that's it?

Or

Do I have to connect the second ground rod to the first original ground rod in any way?

Or

Do I connect the ground wire to the ground rod and that goes to the ground in the charger, which would end up being two attached to the charger?

Thank you for walking me through this. I'm very happy with fence at this point and I'm excited to get the top done. Is there a way to make sure it's working on the top? I need to know that if they touch the two it will zap them

What material is your regular fence made of? Wire or wood?

Also, if the fence you have now is hot for someone or something standing upon the dirt soil, you won't need that second ground rod. Probably the most misunderstood aspect of an electric fence.

You only need an effective connection to ground. You don't need 2, 3, 4 or 5 ground rods. You only need enough to establish a connection to the soil, which serves as the negative connection back to the charger. If one does it, that is all you need. To paraphrase, once the cat is flat, you can run over it 50 more times and it won't get any flatter.

I tried connecting the second ground wire up top to the ground rod and the fence went dead.

There some confusion here. When I said regular fence I meant the electric fence--sorry.

I'm trying to run the electric fence on the top of the enclosure.

Sorry, I read you want to add two wires to the top of the existing fence. Apparently, you are trying to add them to the run? A different enclosure?

Or what? Photos!!!

Here are pictures

Electric fence on bottom
image.jpg

Charger to fence and ground rid to charger
image.jpg

Top wire is hot and bottom wire is ground--I'm trying to figure out where to attach this bottom wire to. When I attached it to the rod(same as first ground going to charger) the fence went dead.
image.jpg

The ground wire I'm holding in this picture is what I'm trying to figure out where to connect. The goal is if they climb on top or jump from my regular 6 ft privacy fence they will hit ground and hot and get zapped

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom