Ground up bones of leftover turkey, rabbit...have you done it?

Tweeza

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
New England
I have looked at the bones of turkey, rabbit and chicken being thrown away and have wondered about grinding them up but I don't have a grinder. Can't just throw the bones with the hard to reach meat remnants to the chickens because they free-range as well as the dogs. Well, as I was deboning a rabbit yesterday I decided I could probably put them into the blender with a little bit of water (I left the leg bones out). I then, because of the water, put a handful of oats and cornmeal into the slurry and cooked it until it was thick. The chickens loved it! Has anyone else done this?

I have not tried it but I will! This is a great idea.
big_smile.png

Quote:
do you have a pressure canner? i usually save the bones, offal, etc and stuff 'em in jars with a bit of water and pressure can 'em. even the long bones get soft enough to squish with your fingers and the dogs (and other critters) really really love this supplement to their regular food

Quote:
do you have a pressure canner? i usually save the bones, offal, etc and stuff 'em in jars with a bit of water and pressure can 'em. even the long bones get soft enough to squish with your fingers and the dogs (and other critters) really really love this supplement to their regular food

Okay, tell us more! I'm very interested in this. What pressures, do you freeze until you have enough...?

Quote:

Okay, tell us more! I'm very interested in this. What pressures, do you freeze until you have enough...?

i process 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts at 10 pounds of pressure. yes, you can freeze your bones etc till you have enough for a canner load. it's great and really appeals to my thrifty side..........waste not, want not!

I make stock out of all my poultry bones. I simmer them in a pot with a little bit of vinegar to help break down the minerals in the bones to make my stock as nutritious as possible
I simmer for three days. After that, the bones are very soft and can be smooshed with my fingers. I feed it to my dog, my chickens, and even grind it up in the food processer and add it to meatloaf mixtures for the humans!

Ssh! Don't tell my kids. It makes the meatloaf a little "textured." but I tell them it's from the bread crumbs I made from Ezekial bread. It has lots of whole grain chunks in it. They believe me!

Back
Top Bottom