1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

groundhogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by okdfarms, May 22, 2011.

1. okdfarms

okdfarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    does anyone have a REALLY effective way of dealing with groundgogs -- other then ss. they are buroughing under our raised coop. hubby did manage to take out mama, but the newbies are setting up house. thanks

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No. Shooting them is about the only method of dealing with them. Relocation is illegal in most states. I would get rid of them if I were you. They will undermine the supports of your coop and topple it if left to their own devices.

A family member had a family of woodchucks move under her large concrete stair structure. They undermined it so badly that it fell away from the house leaving a large gap between the top step and the house. It was a nightmare to fix and very expensive.

Good luck.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    push a cage trap up to their den/borough and then cover the trap with a blanket depends on where I am I use larger conibear traps as well 220 size

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Pouring USED kitty litter into their holes will encourage them to move. (I'd imagine dog do-do would work as well.) Not sure if their relocation site will be anymore agreeable, but it's worked for me.

5. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Big rodents....shoot them or trap and kill.

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I once use a hose and motorcycle exhaust. I assume it killed them in the hole because they never flushed out of the hole so then I just filled the hole with dirt and some big rocks to keep any others form redigging that hole out.

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:Bear in mind that woodchucks (as we call them here) nearly always have at least two exits from their burrows, sometimes a fair distance away from the main hole.

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have marmuts here and dogs are effective especially if there is a lure. not a poison, to get them to expose themselves above ground

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Bear in mind that woodchucks (as we call them here) nearly always have at least two exits from their burrows, sometimes a fair distance away from the main hole.

I normally find all the holes and fill them with dirt they will dig back out the main active holes after they show me where to set the trap it is very easy to catch them

10. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    I had a groundhog in a hillside near the daylight for my downspout. Moved the pipe over a bit so it fed into their hole. They dug another opening off to the side about 6' so I moved the pipe. A month or so later the groundhog has moved to my neighbor's place and there is no more activity in the holes I filled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by