groundhogs

okdfarms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
does anyone have a REALLY effective way of dealing with groundgogs -- other then ss. they are buroughing under our raised coop. hubby did manage to take out mama, but the newbies are setting up house. thanks

No. Shooting them is about the only method of dealing with them. Relocation is illegal in most states. I would get rid of them if I were you. They will undermine the supports of your coop and topple it if left to their own devices.

A family member had a family of woodchucks move under her large concrete stair structure. They undermined it so badly that it fell away from the house leaving a large gap between the top step and the house. It was a nightmare to fix and very expensive.

Good luck.

push a cage trap up to their den/borough and then cover the trap with a blanket depends on where I am I use larger conibear traps as well 220 size

Last edited:
Pouring USED kitty litter into their holes will encourage them to move. (I'd imagine dog do-do would work as well.) Not sure if their relocation site will be anymore agreeable, but it's worked for me.

I once use a hose and motorcycle exhaust. I assume it killed them in the hole because they never flushed out of the hole so then I just filled the hole with dirt and some big rocks to keep any others form redigging that hole out.

Quote:
Bear in mind that woodchucks (as we call them here) nearly always have at least two exits from their burrows, sometimes a fair distance away from the main hole.

Quote:
Bear in mind that woodchucks (as we call them here) nearly always have at least two exits from their burrows, sometimes a fair distance away from the main hole.

I normally find all the holes and fill them with dirt they will dig back out the main active holes after they show me where to set the trap it is very easy to catch them

I had a groundhog in a hillside near the daylight for my downspout. Moved the pipe over a bit so it fed into their hole. They dug another opening off to the side about 6' so I moved the pipe. A month or so later the groundhog has moved to my neighbor's place and there is no more activity in the holes I filled.

Back
Top Bottom