Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Thanks Fort Cluck! Leon is a sweet old man who runs a small commercial farm in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I was directed to his YouTube channel from another video that I was watching on self-watering tubs. He is fun to watch and does a lot of things to engage children into gardening. He is also very knowledgeable... My garden is quite a ways from my house. I need 4-5 hose lengths just to water the garden so I needed other options. I did drip jugs for a while but that was a pain to fill 15-20 milk jugs and run them back and forth. There isn't many options out that direction of the property to collect rainwater either.... The self-watering tubs are a great idea and actually MUCH better for my plants. Leon started me on the hunt to use self-watering containers, but since I've started I've found numerous ways to make this usable in my earth garden, container garden, and inside my house and flowerbeds. :)
Do you have pics of these containers?

I don't have any pics handy because I'm actually traveling at the moment. But if you check out Leon's channel, he has quite a few videos on there that explain the concept with all kinds of containers - plastic tubs, tires, 5 gallon buckets, coffee cans, just about anything. When I get back from traveling next week, I will be putting together 5-10 new self-watering containers. I'd be happy to document the process, step-by-step, and share it.

I don't have any pics handy because I'm actually traveling at the moment. But if you check out Leon's channel, he has quite a few videos on there that explain the concept with all kinds of containers - plastic tubs, tires, 5 gallon buckets, coffee cans, just about anything. When I get back from traveling next week, I will be putting together 5-10 new self-watering containers. I'd be happy to document the process, step-by-step, and share it.
Yes, that would be wonderful. I will look into his channel because it is always nice to find new watering methods.

The other big gardening agenda for me to was reducing costs. Each year I typically spend $100-$300 on gardening STUFF (seeds, soil, insecticide, fertilizer, etc...). I cringe when I think how many vegetables I could buy with that money. Is it really worth it? So this year, I decided to educate myself on better, cheaper, or free sources. I could write an entire article with what I've learned... My goal is to take $30 next year and CAP my gardening budget to that amount. Can I make it? Who knows....but I'm going to try!

The other big gardening agenda for me to was reducing costs. Each year I typically spend $100-$300 on gardening STUFF (seeds, soil, insecticide, fertilizer, etc...). I cringe when I think how many vegetables I could buy with that money. Is it really worth it? So this year, I decided to educate myself on better, cheaper, or free sources. I could write an entire article with what I've learned... My goal is to take $30 next year and CAP my gardening budget to that amount. Can I make it? Who knows....but I'm going to try!
That sounds like something fun to do. I found a bunch of seeds from 2018. I used them and they still grew. Many people chuck their seeds and I honestly don't. They are still good! I am going to put all my seeds into envelopes this week and organize them. I have so many.

Maybe we can do some sort of seed swap or something if anyone else wants to join. I have a lot of seeds that are coming directly from my plants this year. I think it is fun to swap with others.

I'd love to do a seed swap...and I do think that is a good way to diversify your garden without spending a ton of money. I don't throw out seeds either. Now that it's the middle of summer, I've noticed a lot of seed stores have mega sales going on. I purchased a bunch of items that I want to use for next year's spring garden. I store them in the refrigerator until it's time to plant. I've read that prolongs their life and improves germination rates, but I don't know if that is really true or just a myth. Either way, with a few exceptions, my seeds seem to germinate more than they don't so either they have a longer shelf life than what the stores claimed or the frig solution works! :)

I'd love to do a seed swap...and I do think that is a good way to diversify your garden without spending a ton of money. I don't throw out seeds either. Now that it's the middle of summer, I've noticed a lot of seed stores have mega sales going on. I purchased a bunch of items that I want to use for next year's spring garden. I store them in the refrigerator until it's time to plant. I've read that prolongs their life and improves germination rates, but I don't know if that is really true or just a myth. Either way, with a few exceptions, my seeds seem to germinate more than they don't so either they have a longer shelf life than what the stores claimed or the frig solution works! :)
Mine have been in the shed for 2 years. I grew peas, green beans, and cherry tomatoes.

Mine have been in the shed for 2 years. I grew peas, green beans, and cherry tomatoes.

Well there you go! I just don't see the point in throwing out seeds without at least trying to see if they sprout.

When I get back home next week, I'll post what seeds I have to trade and see if any of them interest you or anyone else who wants to participate. :)

I buy seeds in lots of different places but try to find heirloom seeds as much as possible. I saw a video on pinterest (https://pin.it/1h31VAt) that shows a method of growing a pomegranate tree that I want to try from store-bought fruit. I know many store-bought fruits are GMO for the purpose of preventing things like this, but I want to try anyway...

That sounds like something fun to do. I found a bunch of seeds from 2018. I used them and they still grew. Many people chuck their seeds and I honestly don't. They are still good! I am going to put all my seeds into envelopes this week and organize them. I have so many.

Maybe we can do some sort of seed swap or something if anyone else wants to join. I have a lot of seeds that are coming directly from my plants this year. I think it is fun to swap with others.
I don’t chuck mine either lol mostly cause I think oh I’ll plant it next year and don’t and wind up with like 5 years worth 😂🤣🙈

Back
Top Bottom