Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Mine like took over the yard 😂🤣 so might be good to try a trellis or put in an area where you don’t mind lol but it was a lot of fun growing them!!!
I was thinking about getting some cattle panels or something. I believe if I went to the dump I could remake something into a nice sturdy trellis. You know how I am all about reusing things for another purpose.

@SnapdragonQ we can continue the rabbit poop talk here 😂 I’m sure the hatch thread is wondering how we even got on that topic...

But my yellow pepper has leaf curling, it was before I did anything. It does have small teeny tiny peppers now. I almost just pulled it though because I’m frustrated with it 😂

All my peppers seem to be late on growing or maybe I just never had a successful garden so no idea on when they start producing.

And can you tell me what’s good to start planting in August? We are thinking of doing inground if possible.
Oops, sorry. :D

Are you zone 6 or 7 over there?
Even when I was in zone 5 August was a hard time to try and start anything outside direct sow besides the heat lovers like zucchini and other summer squashes. Swiss chard will come up too, but many other things will have trouble or you won;t have enough longer days.
It is however a good time to start seeds with a longer germination times, or are more tender, inside so they are ready for Sept plantings. Like Kelsey mentioned nearly all your cooler spring type veggies will also make good fall plantings.
Summer squashes planted in early Aug can sometimes keep going until frost and smaller 90 day pumkins would probably set fruit and mature before your fall frosts. Something like a small sugar pumpkin for pies would be easy to trellis up.
One year I had fresh zuccini on my Thanksgiving table next to my fall pumpkin dishes.

Is there still time for you to plant more?

I have a lot of cherry tomatoes that I want to put into the inground garden or make another above ground garden. Plus some of my tomatoes have little plants that came in the pot with them that would make excellent tomato plants if they were plucked and put by themselves.
I’m not sure. Maybe? I should have planted some last month 😂🤣🙈

I actually just recently planted some more haha they’re still tiny though. I never planted them 😂🤣

I think I need to buy a big already started plant. We most have tomatoes and peppers but I wanted beans, peas, eggplant, cucumber, carrots, beets, potatoes, I had so many plans lmao

I actually did plant cucumbers and squash but the chipmunks ate the starts when I put them in. 😭😭😭 my good Russian Pickling Cucumbers. 😭😭

Still have one zucchini lol

Oops, sorry. :D

Are you zone 6 or 7 over there?
Even when I was in zone 5 August was a hard time to try and start anything outside direct sow besides the heat lovers like zucchini and other summer squashes. Swiss chard will come up too, but many other things will have trouble or you won;t have enough longer days.
It is however a good time to start seeds with a longer germination times, or are more tender, inside so they are ready for Sept plantings. Like Kelsey mentioned nearly all your cooler spring type veggies will also make good fall plantings.
Summer squashes planted in early Aug can sometimes keep going until frost and smaller 90 day pumkins would probably set fruit and mature before your fall frosts. Something like a small sugar pumpkin for pies would be easy to trellis up.
One year I had fresh zuccini on my Thanksgiving table next to my fall pumpkin dishes.
We are in zone 7a... I believe if I did a garden last fall, I could have kept it going all winter long because it barely got cold here. That is why we have so many ticks and ants this year. I just pulled a tick from my hair... UGGHHHH

I was thinking about getting some cattle panels or something. I believe if I went to the dump I could remake something into a nice sturdy trellis. You know how I am all about reusing things for another purpose.
Some old lumber fasted together in some sort of frame and old twine/heavy string can make a grid trellis. I've seen old screen doors, sans screen, strung with wire or twine used. I've used tree branches, old fencing, whatever I could find because all my cattle panels stay in use for animals around here.

I’m not sure. Maybe? I should have planted some last month 😂🤣🙈

I actually just recently planted some more haha they’re still tiny though. I never planted them 😂🤣

I think I need to buy a big already started plant. We most have tomatoes and peppers but I wanted beans, peas, eggplant, cucumber, carrots, beets, potatoes, I had so many plans lmao

I actually did plant cucumbers and squash but the chipmunks ate the starts when I put them in. 😭😭😭 my good Russian Pickling Cucumbers. 😭😭

Still have one zucchini lol
I am going to buy more plants I think at the end of August. I want to get a greenhouse... I already found what I wanted, I just need to wait until the fall time once there is no vacation so I know I will be here to maintain it.

Some old lumber fasted together in some sort of frame and old twine/heavy string can make a grid trellis. I've seen old screen doors, sans screen, strung with wire or twine used. I've used tree branches, old fencing, whatever I could find because all my cattle panels stay in use for animals around here.
I have an old bed frame that would work, it has the springs and everything. I will find something if I end up doing this big garden I want to do.

For years I loved gardening but it never loved me back... Everything always died no matter how diligent or careful I was. This year I have thrown myself full force into gardening education! I am slowly moving beyond a neophyte on topics such as:

Self-watering containers
Container gardening
Making black gold (otherwise known as compost)
Free, low cost, or bargain gardening
Dealing with pests

I might offer up this YouTube channel as a great source of knowledge and inspiration -
Gardening with Leon
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSDYs9sd2_BlLuWSiEr7TJQ

He is just fantastic but I tend to believe that once you've reached his age then you really have learned a thing or two and maybe us children should pay attention! ☺

Back
Top Bottom