Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Early (planning) stages here but not taking anything on until we move.

sort of gardening note...I’ve been putting my goslings in a large pen in my backyard and moving them round and round throughout the day. I haven’t sprayed anything on my property since I’ve owned it and I’ve got lots of clover and other stuff in my Bermuda grass. Look at these three before and after shots after putting the geese on an area for two or three hours they eat every bit of clover! :eek: :clap

8ADD2CD7-1E54-44B5-963A-040BF4D21D0D.jpeg

09BBDDFC-75B7-4D27-BAF4-9DE0A5D312F7.jpeg

9F763CA4-25C6-43CB-BFFE-04EC23F4377C.jpeg

My chicks love clover and I usually start giving them bits of it and grass copped up around a week old.
I've actually got a dish of clover in the house right now because I've been nursing a neurological 3 1/2 wk old chick since yesterday afternoon. She's getting better and I've been using clover to hide the chopped spinach in (for extra selenium) because she is not a spinach fan.

My mom is good at growing anything and I never got the growing gene. My friend who just got certified for master gardening has been really helping me. This year I’ve been making sure that I tend to the gardens in the morning and at night.

The tomatoes have been the most work overall for me. Always clipping off lower branches and tying up the branches so they’re supported.

I don't have a natural green thumb. I have learned though what seems obvious but I hadn't really thought about it so much that stuff naturally wants to sprout and grow. My main learning has been learning not to kill stuff with over meddling. haha..

My best tomato plants actually sprouted in my compost. I am still impressed that the seeds overwintered in -15F temps and sprouted in May. If it was an actual compost pile that would be one thing as the heat generated would maybe keep them warmer, but this was 2 inches of compost spread directly in my no-till, inground beds. Nature never ceases to amaze and impress me. Drives my husband crazy that the ones we work hard on don't do better than those. Haha... I think it's kind of cool.

I don't have a natural green thumb. I have learned though what seems obvious but I hadn't really thought about it so much that stuff naturally wants to sprout and grow. My main learning has been learning not to kill stuff with over meddling. haha..

My best tomato plants actually sprouted in my compost. I am still impressed that the seeds overwintered in -15F temps and sprouted in May. If it was an actual compost pile that would be one thing as the heat generated would maybe keep them warmer, but this was 2 inches of compost spread directly in my no-till, inground beds. Nature never ceases to amaze and impress me. Drives my husband crazy that the ones we work hard on don't do better than those. Haha... I think it's kind of cool.
Do you toss tomatoes in your compost? My friend had tons of tomatoes sprout in her compost pile this year. She sent us 12 plants and all are doing great so far.

Do you toss tomatoes in your compost? My friend had tons of tomatoes sprout in her compost pile this year. She sent us 12 plants and all are doing great so far.
We toss the goo with the seeds in the compost. Anytime my husband makes sauce, he scrapes out the seeds and says they make the sauce bitter and that ends up in the compost.

We toss the goo with the seeds in the compost. Anytime my husband makes sauce, he scrapes out the seeds and says they make the sauce bitter and that ends up in the compost.
I’m going to toss mine in the compost too and see if any grow next year. Then I won’t have to buy tomato plants or plant seeds.

Yesterday one of my tomato plants was infested with bugs. I used my organic spray on it so it should be good now. It was my Yellow boy one... I do not think it’s going to do much because it’s still tiny.

I’m going to toss mine in the compost too and see if any grow next year. Then I won’t have to buy tomato plants or plant seeds.

Yesterday one of my tomato plants was infested with bugs. I used my organic spray on it so it should be good now. It was my Yellow boy one... I do not think it’s going to do much because it’s still tiny.
Anytime we have heirloom tomatoes especially, we try to save some of the seeds. We've had some really great plants come from grocery store tomotoes.... intentionally planted and volunteers. And we love free stuff, so... definitely worth trying! :)

Does anyone have a recommendation on a chipper/shredder for leaves and branches. I live on an acre with about 100 trees and have debris and leaves constantly that I would like to turn into mulch. They are expensive and wondered if anyone knows of a good brand before I spend that much money. Thanks in advance for any help

Back
Top Bottom