Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
ohh a gardening thread!!!
I'm a new grower, I started in Autumn which would have been spring for the other side of the world, I have very mild winters so a lot still grows good. I'm using mostly raised garden beds with some sown directly into the ground. I originally set out to just grow some herbs plus lettuce, tomatoes and carrots but now I have them plus beans, peas, radish, eggplant, beetroot, onion, spring onion, cauliflower, strawberries and a bunch of others I can't think of right now.
Hooray another Aussie! Is there ever any frosts in QLD? I've finally moved to a part of nsw where frosts are a rare treat. Only had 2 light ones this year. As a posed to repeatedly heavy ones for the entire month of July for 28 years.

Morning (for those south of the equator) and evening (for those north of it)! Hope all the gardens are thriving. So I discovered a seed subscription box yesterday, they send you the seed to plant that month for your region so you don'tget confused about what to plant when and all the info you need for watering feeding harvesting.... has anyone else subscribed to such a service? I feel like this is such a good place for me to start, but I always worry about these things.
What was the name of the company?

Hooray another Aussie! Is there ever any frosts in QLD? I've finally moved to a part of nsw where frosts are a rare treat. Only had 2 light ones this year. As a posed to repeatedly heavy ones for the entire month of July for 28 years.

Yes in some parts of qld the frost can be bad. My last house we had frost for three months with July being the worst. I have now moved closer to the coast and so far have had three days of mild to moderate frost

Well, my popcorn has started tasseling and I got 6 cherry tomatoes yesterday, so still heading in the right direction. I have 4 decent sized Big Boy tomatoes still growing and not showing a hint that they might want to change colors yet.

I think I figured out what happened to the peppers. They were planted too early. I was covering them if the low temp was going under 40 but apparently peppers need 60+ at night or they can get stunted.

Well, something picked my 2 biggest Big Boy tomatoes and ate half of them... sigh... In the composter they go.... Next year I will have bird netting around the garden, that should help prevent the foxes and ground hogs from waltzing in for a snack... I'm hoping that since whatever it was only ate half of each that they didn't like the taste and won't come back.... Here's to hoping...

Back
Top Bottom