Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
We've never canned it. Hubby puts garlic in olive oil for a bit and we put that on (lightly salted) chopped tomatoes on toasted/grilled bread. We realized though that it's evolved a bit here like most ethnic foods. :)
Hey, I may be able to find an answer here... I used to have a friend that was from an italian family, I was over at her house one day and her dad made us a snack that was fresh mozzarella and peppers (maybe bell peppers) in some sort of a dark sauce (maybe balsamic?). The peppers were in a baggie in the fridge in the sauce when he got them out.

It was really good but I have no idea what it was or if there were other ingredients or prep to it than I saw. Any clue?

Hey, I may be able to find an answer here... I used to have a friend that was from an italian family, I was over at her house one day and her dad made us a snack that was fresh mozzarella and peppers (maybe bell peppers) in some sort of a dark sauce (maybe balsamic?). The peppers were in a baggie in the fridge in the sauce when he got them out.

It was really good but I have no idea what it was or if there were other ingredients or prep to it than I saw. Any clue?
I wish I could. Sounds like some of the things I had in southern Italy... especially the fresh mozzarella. Yummo! They had more of the sauces and some dark sauces on cold prepped veggies. We lived in the north and northern traditions ... actually every region's traditions... are so unique. One of the beautiful things about Italy, I think, is being able to hop in the car, drive 30 minutes and hear a different dialect and eat something made in a way that is totally different from where you just were.

That being said... you're probably right that it was a base of balsamic vinegar. Probably, but not guaranteed to have some olive oil in there too. Might have even had an American twist on an Italian plate based on available ingredients. We do that sometimes and have had some fun things come out of those experiments.

I wish I could. Sounds like some of the things I had in southern Italy... especially the fresh mozzarella. Yummo! They had more of the sauces and some dark sauces on cold prepped veggies. We lived in the north and northern traditions ... actually every region's traditions... are so unique. One of the beautiful things about Italy, I think, is being able to hop in the car, drive 30 minutes and hear a different dialect and eat something made in a way that is totally different from where you just were.

That being said... you're probably right that it was a base of balsamic vinegar. Probably, but not guaranteed to have some olive oil in there too. Might have even had an American twist on an Italian plate based on available ingredients. We do that sometimes and have had some fun things come out of those experiments.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to experiment. I mean, with those ingredients it's going to be good even if I mess up...

We've never canned it. Hubby puts garlic in olive oil for a bit and we put that on (lightly salted) chopped tomatoes on toasted/grilled bread. We realized though that it's evolved a bit here like most ethnic foods. :)
I’m Italian supposedly but I have never made it until today. I used to get it at an Italian restaurant

I ended up finding huge stocks of canning stuff at off places like Save-A-Lot stores, Big Lots, Menards had a ton, and those kinds of places.

I am just starting to get into canning and I can not find supplies anywhere, add on to that I bought the wrong type of pressure cooker. Its starting to get expensive to feed myself while avoiding the mandatory mask stores. I will probably just start fermenting instead.
In a pinch, try Tractor Supply or Rural King. Not the least expensive place to find supplies, but I've always seen jars and a few supplies at all the TSCs I've been to. Usually I wait until canning season is over and stock up on the mark downs, and put them up for the following season.
I am terribly jealous of you! Since I can't eat any nightshade vegetables or grains, I have to eat vicariously through others☺I hope you enjoy every morsel!
I can eat night shades but my kiddo has major allergies and neither of us can have gluten, so baking or canning is often very challenging. I have tried baking with coconut flours, almond meals, an even ground flaxseed.
Canning has gotten a little easier since kiddo outgrew the tomato allergy, but drying foods in a dehydrator worked well for us since I didn't need to add anything to the foods to preserve them.

In a pinch, try Tractor Supply or Rural King. Not the least expensive place to find supplies, but I've always seen jars and a few supplies at all the TSCs I've been to. Usually I wait until canning season is over and stock up on the mark downs, and put them up for the following season.
Southern States has a store a county away (the one near me is small and remodeling and is lacking) has many of the supplies but I blew my spending budget on the supplies to build a greenhouse! But I have a pay day coming soon and I can put more money into my Homesteading budget.

Back
Top Bottom