Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Straw has a film on it that doesn’t let it decompose fast from what I experience. Straw doesn’t suck up moisture that’s why people use it in nesting boxes, but it takes forever to decompose from what I remember.

Hay is easier and decomposes that’s what we use in our beds with bunny 💩 But maybe it’s just the straw I was using.
@Kusanar let me know how it goes with the straw though maybe I’ll try it with my new beds.
Yeah, I'm aware of straw bale gardening. I have never tried it, but Bunn was saying it is amazing and I should do it. I don't have a source for straw, only hay (I have horses, have to have hay) so I could try it with hay but he doesn't like that idea for some reason, not sure if he doesn't like it because of the weed seeds sprouting issue or if he doesn't like it for other reasons. If I try it at all it will be with hay, just plain jane grass hay that I feed the horses.

Yeah, I'm aware of straw bale gardening. I have never tried it, but Bunn was saying it is amazing and I should do it. I don't have a source for straw, only hay (I have horses, have to have hay) so I could try it with hay but he doesn't like that idea for some reason, not sure if he doesn't like it because of the weed seeds sprouting issue or if he doesn't like it for other reasons. If I try it at all it will be with hay, just plain jane grass hay that I feed the horses.
Yeah we only have hay here because of the 🐰

In the garden today, potatoes almost ready for 3rd tyre and corn snd tomato sprouts
20200910_081934.jpg
20200910_081955.jpg
20200910_082001.jpg

So picked 2.8kg of mulberrys this morning.made a pie x strudel with 500grams. Now what to do with rest, and then the many kilos still on tree? 🤔. Coming into spring here,plantings in full swing! Love the subscription seed box I ordered. Perfect for our climate and mostly heirloom variety. We have:
Cucumber "muncher"
Squash "Ronde de nice"
Phacella ( for attracting the good bugs)
Tomato "black krim"
Zucchini "cocozelle"
Corn "golden bantam"
Carrot "paris market"
Beetroot "chioggia guardsmark"
20200919_094027.jpg

I'm currently working on my cattle panel trellis squash bed for next year. The clay there is super hard and even a little sandy (or at least it sounds sandy when you dig) and tons of deep rooting weeds and tree roots... So, what I am doing is digging a trench 1 foot deep by 4 feet wide and 16 feet long. I am just backfilling the clay back into the 1 foot on each side, and mixing amendments into the center 2 feet where things will actually be planted as I backfill that. I'm getting it ready now and putting everything in it now so I can mulch it over the winter and it will have time to settle and do it's thing over the winter before I plant in it in the spring.

When I planted my tomatoes, even though I had tilled it and worked an entire bale of peat into it, I was still hitting hard packed clay when trying to dig the holes. Should not have that problem with this bed as it will be loose about a foot down, then the plants should be able to break it up a little more if they need to get their roots down further.

I want a foot dug out on each side so I have a nice mulch border between my plants and the cattle panel and the grass that I will have to mow so I'm not having to mow right up against everything.

Hello from Michigan! I'm jealous of you who can still plant stuff for this year. My growing season will end this Friday with frost, I think.

LOVE my Excalibur dehydrator. Had it for about 20 years; still going strong. I dried some cherry tomatoes (wish I'd read this and tried soaking in balsamic vinegar) last week and will start on apples next week.

Chicken poop has improved my compost so much this year. I'm on my fifth pile, and with poop, it's done in about four weeks. My chickens may not give me a lot of eggs, but they give me a lot of poop.

Sally

Back
Top Bottom