Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Very nice. I'm using cinderblocks I found in the woods for the walls of my garden. I need to spray the dirt out of the holes of a few of them, but most are empty and mostly clean. End goal is to get the garden built up 2 cinderblocks high (or around 16 inches) and fill the holes in the blocks with soil to plant things like strawberries and flowers in. May actually lay some of the top blocks on their sides so the holes are on the side of the wall, not the top and put strawberries in sideways so they kind of hang down the wall. We'll see. I have quite a ways to go, only about 3 inches above natural soil level so far.

Love it! I saw a similar raised bed like this on Pinterest but I don't have enough cinder blocks to build one and they are rather expensive to buy so I went with the metal roofing instead which is $15/sheet here. I never thought to look for them. I bet I could collect some from old homestead sites where trailers have burned down or buildings have collapsed. Land owners would probably be happy to give them away for free... And it has been my experience around here that OLD cinder blocks are much more sturdy than the new ones you buy at the big box stores. New ones are made from cheap concrete and break much more easily....

I came across this "Method" of collecting chicken poop on another site...ha ha. I've just been sifting it out of the screenings/sand in the coop. Wonder if this might be an easier "collection" method to put in the compost pile?
DSC02988.jpeg

Love it! I saw a similar raised bed like this on Pinterest but I don't have enough cinder blocks to build one and they are rather expensive to buy so I went with the metal roofing instead which is $15/sheet here. I never thought to look for them. I bet I could collect some from old homestead sites where trailers have burned down or buildings have collapsed. Land owners would probably be happy to give them away for free... And it has been my experience around here that OLD cinder blocks are much more sturdy than the new ones you buy at the big box stores. New ones are made from cheap concrete and break much more easily....
It takes 20 blocks to surround a 4x8 bed. I found exactly 20 in good shape, will need to buy another 20 when it gets deep enough to do a 2nd row. At around a dollar a piece I'm ok with that price especially since if I want to do work in the bed (like now when I am getting ready to level it because it is on a slight slope) I can just pull some or all of the blocks out and I can just go in there without having to deal with the wall in the way.

I came across this "Method" of collecting chicken poop on another site...ha ha. I've just been sifting it out of the screenings/sand in the coop. Wonder if this might be an easier "collection" method to put in the compost pile?
View attachment 2408506
Lol, the poop hammock... I would actually mix it with water and pour it on the pile, that way it spreads out better and isn't big clumps of super nitrogen.

There is someone on here that is developing a hydroponic system that uses chicken poop as the fertilizer. So, chicken poop in, veggies out, any trash from the veggies is chicken food and reduces the amount of feed needed (slightly, but every bit helps right?). Pretty nifty system, I'm waiting to see how it does.

Lol, the poop hammock... I would actually mix it with water and pour it on the pile, that way it spreads out better and isn't big clumps of super nitrogen.

There is someone on here that is developing a hydroponic system that uses chicken poop as the fertilizer. So, chicken poop in, veggies out, any trash from the veggies is chicken food and reduces the amount of feed needed (slightly, but every bit helps right?). Pretty nifty system, I'm waiting to see how it does.

I have about 45 chickens, 7 ducks, 2 goats, and 2 horses. Finding manure is usually NOT a problem here...ha ha. Collecting it, however, is not so much fun. We eat vegetables, but rarely have enough leftovers to substantially supplement our feed. The animals do get super excited when they see me carrying out leftovers.... This year I grew some tomatoes which didn't get very big...more like golf ball sized. I threw quite a few of them to the chickens who were delighted.

I have about 45 chickens, 7 ducks, 2 goats, and 2 horses. Finding manure is usually NOT a problem here...ha ha. Collecting it, however, is not so much fun. We eat vegetables, but rarely have enough leftovers to substantially supplement our feed. The animals do get super excited when they see me carrying out leftovers.... This year I grew some tomatoes which didn't get very big...more like golf ball sized. I threw quite a few of them to the chickens who were delighted.
Yeah, the system they are working on is more for a super low income family that only has a few birds for egg laying purposes and needs help on food bills for them and the birds. I'm tempted to try setting up one of their systems with a few balls of horse manure to see how it does, may be too much fiber though.

My chickens LOVE scratching through horse manure when I let them out to free range in the pasture....

btw, I use the leftover horse feed bags to make landscape fabric in the garden too....

So they add the poop to the hydroponic system? I have a hydroponic setup but I haven’t used it much

Back
Top Bottom