Grow your own Calcium for egg production

cybercat

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Greeneville, Tn
I am an herbalist as well as a gardener. To me buying oyster shell is just a waste of my money when it is cheaper to grow something as good or better. I know for many they perfer to grow what they can for feeding thier chickens. Since calcium is such a big thing I thought I would list some plants that are high in calcium that are easy to grow. All of these have other high vitiamins and minerals also.

Here is a list with numbers included. 3 1/2 ounce (2 to3 cups)

Arugula 309 mg

Turnip Greens 190 mg

dandelion greens 187mg

kale 135 mg

watercress 120 mg

beet greens 119 mg

collards 117 mg

mustard greens 103 mg

chicory(curly endive) 100 mg

The reasource I am pulling this infomation from is from the University of California at Berkeley book they wrote call The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition. It covers alot of food and list numbers aross the vit and min board. So if anyone would like to know the nutritional facts on one type of food just Pm me I would be glad to answer. This is for human type food only so things like feed corn would not be included but wheat, bran rice and sweet corn is for example. The lists in this reasource include veggis,fruits,exotic veggis and fruits, grains and grain products, legumes,nuts, seeds, meat, poultry, fish,shellfish, dairy and eggs.

Nothing like having another source for something instead of just one product. Hope you all enjoy.
D.gif

I am wondering if plant calcium would be more absorbable for chickens because that is something they naturally eat? Do you have any info on absorbability?

You can't just look at calcium content...you have to also look at oxalic acid (which inhibits calcium absorption)....for example kale has a high oxalic acid content...so while it has high calcium, the oxalic acid somewhat counteracts that.

what a great idea! once they start laying you can also wash & dry the shells from their eggs, crush them up finely and give it back to them. it's what we do and i think it really is good for them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom