Grower or Layer for My Pullets?

Danniro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I have two pullets who are both 7mos old. They are sisters but have different moms, their father was a BO but one is half Jersey Giant and the other is half Americana (or was it Araucana? I know it was whichever was a more pure breed, not just an EE). They don't seem to be full size. Still smaller than my adult Welsummer and Wyandotte, the latter whom is already petite. The BO/JG seems to still be growing her wattles, they're maybe a centimeter long at the moment. Both have shortish single combs which I bet aren't full grown.
They haven't laid and don't seem to be doing the rooster squat (but then again my SLW has NEVER squatted. We think she's lacking in the brain department though. We had been giving them all the grower feed since maybe October, and just ran out. They had layer feed today and yesterday, after looking online I was trying to decide whether I want to go buy more grower or not. After browsing a thread here about when BOs lay, most people (on the first 3 pages) reported their hens having laid at 5-6 months or so. I'm not sure if it would be different for my hens though because they're crosses.
So should I buy more grower or just let them eat layer? Do you think they're about to lay?

I have two pullets who are both 7mos old. They are sisters but have different moms, their father was a BO but one is half Jersey Giant and the other is half Americana (or was it Araucana? I know it was whichever was a more pure breed, not just an EE). They don't seem to be full size. Still smaller than my adult Welsummer and Wyandotte, the latter whom is already petite. The BO/JG seems to still be growing her wattles, they're maybe a centimeter long at the moment. Both have shortish single combs which I bet aren't full grown.
They haven't laid and don't seem to be doing the rooster squat (but then again my SLW has NEVER squatted. We think she's lacking in the brain department though. We had been giving them all the grower feed since maybe October, and just ran out. They had layer feed today and yesterday, after looking online I was trying to decide whether I want to go buy more grower or not. After browsing a thread here about when BOs lay, most people (on the first 3 pages) reported their hens having laid at 5-6 months or so. I'm not sure if it would be different for my hens though because they're crosses.
So should I buy more grower or just let them eat layer? Do you think they're about to lay?
If their combs are red, they are ready to lay. If they are still pink, it's probably best to go with grower.

I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat and have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

The BO/JG has a red comb and wattles, but the other on doesn't have wattles because of her beard and her comb doesn't look super red but it's small.

I don't think it will make much difference which type you feed. I feed layer to all the birds right now but am considering going back to an all flock feed for the winter. Whatever you feed be sure to provide free choice calcium. I found even with layer feed the hens look and perform better when they have calcium

Back
Top Bottom